Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 5-oz Silver America the Beautiful – War in the Pacific National Historical Park Specimen PCGS SP70 First Strike w/Flag Label
Guam America the Beautiful Quarter Pays Tribute to the Pacific Theater of World War II
On December 8, 1941 – one day after its infamous attack on Pearl Harbor drew America into World War II – Imperial Japan unleashed its armed forces on Guam, a U.S. island territory in the Western Pacific Ocean. Over the next 31 months of occupation, the native population was subjected to brutal treatment that included rape, torture, forced labor, summary executions – and worse. Historians estimate that around 10 percent of the island’s inhabitants died during the Japanese occupation. U.S. forces stormed the beaches of Guam on July 21, 1944 and finally re-took the island three weeks later. U.S. forces suffered over 7,000 casualties while more than 18,000 Japanese troops died in the fighting as just 485 surrendered. One Japanese soldier who did not give up was Shoichi Yokoi, who held out in the island’s remote Bubulao jungle for 28 years before surrendering in 1972.
Located on Guam, the War in the Pacific National Historical Park is the westernmost park of the National Park Service. It was established in 1978 to pay tribute to the bravery and sacrifices of those who participated in the Pacific Theater of World War II. Today, the former battlefields, gun emplacements, trenches, and historic structures all serve as silent reminders of the bloody World War II battles fought there. Now, this third issue of 2019 in the America the Beautiful series celebrates the area with this five-ounce silver War in the Pacific National Historical Park coin.
The America the Beautiful series has proven extremely popular since it began back in 2010. For those who have been collecting from the start, each release has provided a new and exciting way to discover and appreciate all that America has to offer. And the best way to collect these designs is as a whopping five-ounce, 90% silver coin! Measuring an incredible 76.2 mm in diameter, it’s nearly twice the size of an American Silver Eagle!
Your coin will come with a smooth satin-like matte finish produced by a vapor blast process. In addition, it has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in stunning Specimen-70 (SP70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, PCGS has certified this piece to be a First Strike (FS) coin, a designation that means your coin was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. It will be sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a special American Flag label.
The War in the Pacific National Historical Park in Guam is a perfect example of a coin that presents collectors with a scene of America’s history that would likely be overlooked otherwise. Released on the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Guam, it depicts determined American troops scrambling ashore at Asan Bay in Guam, their LVT-2 Amtrac Amphibious Vehicle in support just to the right.
The 2019 War in the Pacific National Historical Park Five Ounce Silver Specimen release is one of five America the Beautiful Coins that will be issued this year meaning it will be available only for so long. Add it to your collection before it’s too late!
- THE LATEST IN THE “AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL” SERIES – This 2019 Five Ounce War in the Pacific National Historical Park coin is the third issue of 2019 and the 48th overall in the America the Beautiful series, which began in 2010.
- STUNNING NATURAL SCENERY – The design features American forces coming ashore at Asan Bay. It also displays the words “WAR IN THE PACIFIC,” “GUAM,” “2019” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
- A SERIES OF FIRSTS – Each coin in the America the Beautiful series was struck at the Philadelphia Mint from 99.9% fine silver. These are the largest ever quarter coins struck, measuring three inches in diameter.
- UNITED STATES LEGAL TENDER – Each America the Beautiful coin is twenty-five cents legal tender in the United States.
- GRADED IN PERFECT SPECIMEN CONDITION – Your coin has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in stunning Specimen-70 (SP70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended.
- KEY FIRST STRIKE CERTIFICATION – PCGS has certified your coin to be a First Strike (FS) coin, a designation that means your coin was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. It will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with an American Flag label.
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P|
|Coin Weight||155.3 Grams - g|
|Weight||5 Ounces - oz|