A Tale of Two U.S. Mint Designers
John Mercanti and Don Everhart have been friends for years. When Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the United States Mint, retired from his position in 2010, it was Everhart, the Mint’s Lead Sculptor, that took center stage. Together, these two gifted designers have crafted and sculpted more coin and medal designs than any other designers in U.S. Mint history. And now, for the very first time, these titans of the coin world have provided the designs for the same piece: the 2020 Flames of Freedom Silver Proof!
This historic collaboration has resulted in this fabulous silver proof struck in two ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver. Mercanti’s obverse displays Liberty holding a torch and sword, just as she appeared in the landmark 2019 Peace and Liberty medal. Everhart’s reverse displays one torch of freedom lighting another — a symbolic “handing of the torch” like the one that happened between the two artists.
In addition to the first-ever collaboration between Mercanti and Everhart, these historic commemoratives were struck in incredible Ultra High Relief designs on both sides that tower over the fields below. This effect cannot be accomplished on most proofs. To achieve this numismatic miracle, a massive double-thick Piedfort planchet must be utilized. Incredible pressure and multiple precise strikes of a carefully carved die are also required to ensure the sharpest details possible.
What’s more, these pieces have been minted as Reverse Proofs, Unlike regular proofs that are crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields, a reverse proof is the opposite, featuring mirrored details rising over frosted fields. The mirrored devices and frosty fields create a striking contrast seldom seen on modern coins.
These commemoratives are from an extremely limited worldwide release of just 1,500 two-ounce silver proofs — and these fabulous proofs are available exclusively through GovMint and its marketing partners. The 2020 Two-Ounce Silver Flames of Freedom Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof is a collector’s dream. Click one to your cart today before other collectors wake up to their availability and scoop them all up!
- ENGAGING FLAMES OF FREEDOM DESIGN – This Flames of Freedom proof was designed by former U.S. Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti (obverse) and former Lead Sculptor Don Everhart (reverse). The obverse shows Liberty holding a torch and sword while the reverse depicts one torch of freedom lighting another.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each 2020 Flames of Freedom Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof was struck in two ounces highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measures 38 mm in diameter.
- DOUBLE-SIDED ULTRA HIGH RELIEF – These 2020 Two-Ounce Silver Flames of Freedom Ultra High Relief Reverse Proofs were struck with double-thick planchets, allowing for incredible Ultra High Relief designs on both sides.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020 Two-Ounce Silver Flames of Freedom Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce mirror-like details rising over frosted fields.
- EXCLUSIVE LIMITED AVAILABILITY – Just 1,500 two-ounce silver proofs will be released, and they available exclusively through GovMint and its marketing partners.
For the first time in history, a proof has been struck using designs created by John Mercanti, 12th Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint, and Don Everhart, former U.S. Mint Lead Sculptor-Engraver. Grab your share of this exclusive limited-edition release now!