Celebrating Australia’s First Gold Sovereign
In the 1840s and 1850s, the Australian Gold Rush saw massive amounts of gold flowing from the Victoria Gold Fields. In response, the British government established their first branch mint outside of England in Sydney, Australia. In 1855, the Sydney Mint struck its very first coin — Australia’s first Gold Sovereign. However, unlike the typical British Sovereigns, the Sydney Sovereign featured a unique design — St. Edward’s crown along with a laurel wreath.
Now, 165 years later, Australia’s Perth Mint is honoring Australia’s first Gold Sovereign with another “first”: Australia’s first-ever double-thick Piedfort Sovereign!
Already sold out at the mint, this coin comes struck in 0.471 ounces of 91.67% (22 karat) gold and has a legal tender value of $50 Australia. Its High Relief anniversary design replicates that of the nation’s first Sovereign in 1855, with minor updates including the name of the mint, the denomination and a special “165” legend denoting the coin’s anniversary status.
You can secure Australia’s first-ever Piedfort Sovereign graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections — showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified that this proof is a First Day of Issue (FDI) coin, meaning it was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date. It will also come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with an exclusive Australian flag label.
Just 350 of these 2020 Australia Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proofs were struck for worldwide release, and with them already being announced as being completely sold out at the mint, demand is sure to be intense. Click one to your cart now to avoid disappointment later.
- TRIBUTE TO AUSTRALIA’S FIRST GOLD SOVEREIGN – This coin pays tribute to the 165th anniversary of Australia’s first gold Sovereign. It features the original design of St. Edward’s crown along with a laurel wreath on the reverse while the obverse displays a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE GOLD – Each 2020 Australia Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proofs was struck as a double thick Piedfort coin by the Perth Mint in 15.982 grams of highly pure 91.67% fine gold.
- AUSTRALIAN LEGAL TENDER – These 2020 Australia Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proofs are $50 legal tender in Australia and measures 22.6 mm in diameter.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020 Australia Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified that your proof is a First Day of Issue (FDI) coin, independent authentication that your coin was released by the mint during the premier day of the series’ issue. It will come sealed in an acrylic holder with an exclusive Australian flag label.
- SOLD-OUT LIMITED EDITION – The limited edition for the 2020 Australia Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proof was set at only 350 — and it’s completely sold out at the mint.
Celebrate Australia’s first gold sovereign with this 2020 Gold Sovereign High Relief Piedfort Proof. These coins will not last for long, so reserve yours now while they’re still available.