A Silver Tribute to the Double Eagle That Never Was
The Double Eagle that never was! As the story goes, United States Mint Chief Engraver Charles E. Barber was insulted that President Theodore Roosevelt chose an outsider, American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, to redesign America’s coinage. And so, Barber took it upon himself to design his own $20 Double Eagle Pattern. The design was rejected, but the pattern survived. One of the greatest mysteries in U.S. numismatic history, Barber’s pattern coin was hidden to the public for years — no one outside the elite U.S. Mint circle even knew it existed!
Today, that pattern is housed in the Smithsonian® and now you can see that long-forgotten and passed over design as a gleaming silver tribute that recreates Barber’s design for the very first time as a double-sided Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof. This release recreates Barber’s vision in two ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver. The original “20 Dollars” denomination has been replaced with “Double Eagle” to denote its non-legal-tender status.
Barber’s Forgotten Version of Lady Liberty
The obverse depicts the bust of a left-facing Liberty wearing a distinctive Phrygian cap and a laurel wreath facing left. The 1906 date is featured below Liberty while 13 stars encircle her profile. The reverse features a Standing Liberty with a sword and Liberty cap on a pole. Liberty is guarding an eagle, which is a symbol of America. The legend “IN GOD WE TRUST” is prominently displayed along with “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and “DOUBLE EAGLE.” The restrike date, “2020,” can be seen at the base of the design
Utilizing a double-thick Piedfort planchet, this commemorative has been struck in double-sided Ultra High Relief with a unique Reverse Proof finish. A Reverse Proof is the opposite of a regular proof in that it features beautiful mirror-like details rising over frosted fields instead of frosted details rising from mirror-like fields. The added Ultra High Relief element beautifully showcases the mirrored design sitting high over deep, concave frosty fields. What’s more, each commemorative available here has been graded by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means these perfectly-graded proofs have ZERO imperfections — showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended.
Exclusive Worldwide Release
In addition, this is a world exclusive release approved by the Smithsonian. Just 1,500 two-ounce silver proofs have been authorized — and even fewer are available certified by NGC as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo condition. Plus, each piece will come beautifully housed in a Smithsonian-branded black presentation case and accompanied by a storybook & numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Bring home Barber’s “forgotten” design of Lady Liberty with this 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver 1906 Barber Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof. Click it to your cart today!
- TRIBUTE TO BARBER’S DOUBLE EAGLE – This release pays tribute to a m$20 Gold Double Eagle pattern coin design by U.S. Mint Chief Engraver Charles Barber that was never struck for release. It features the bust of Lady Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap on the obverse and a Standing Liberty protecting an eagle on the reverse.
- FANTASTIC ULTRA HIGH RELIEF – This silver commemorative was struck in fantastic Ultra High Relief that beautifully showcases the mirrored design sitting high over deep, concave frosty fields.
- UNIQUE REVERSE PROOF FINISH – These commemoratives feature beautiful mirror-like details rising over frosted fields, the opposite of regular proofs that have frosted details rising from mirror-like fields.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each 2020 Smithsonian 1906 Barber Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof commemorative available in this offer has been struck on a two-ounce planchet of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measures 38 mm in diameter.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver 1906 Barber Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE LIMITED RELEASE – The worldwide mintage for the 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver 1906 Barber Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof has been set at just 1,500 and they are available exclusively through GovMint and its marketing partners.
Get the Double Eagle that never was with the 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver 1906 Barber Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof. Get yours now!