U.S. Mint’s Basketball Half Dollar Proof Is a Slam Dunk!
From the time the first game was played with peach baskets nailed to the walls at either end of a gymnasium to today’s high-flying, rim-rattling dunks, basketball has evolved from an activity played at a lone YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts to a multi-billion dollar global sport played by some of the world’s greatest athletes. To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020, the United States Mint released its Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Program that features a series of curved coins depicting a trio of players on one side and a detailed basketball going through a basket on the domed reverse side.
In this offer you can score the Basketball Hall of Fame Clad Half-Dollar Proof that was expertly crafted at the San Francisco Mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. Like the Baseball Hall of Fame series that came before it, the curved nature of this coin serves to accentuate the look of a round ball. Its domed basketball reverse is so detailed you can see the hundreds of little “pebbles” that dot the surface just like a real basketball. You’ll almost feel like palming this “rock” and jacking up a three-pointer!
What makes these coins even more significant is the fact that they are the FIRST colorized coins produced by the United States Mint. Each depicts an orange basketball with black channels about to pass through a white net and an orange rim. The maximum mintage for the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Colorized Half-Dollar in either proof or uncirculated condition has been set at 75,000.
Plus, each 2020-S Basketball Hall of Fame Half-Dollar Colorized Proof available here has been was graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in near-perfect Proof-69 Ultra Cameo (PF69UC) condition, a distinction that means these almost-flawless proof coin showcase impressive full strikes and indistinguishable imperfections — well above and beyond the quality of the vast majority of coins in the series. In addition, NGC has certified that these proofs area First Releases (FR) coins, a designation that means they were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within the first 30 days of their release.
The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame opened in 1959 in Springfield, Massachusetts. Within its inaugural class was its namesake Dr. James Naismith, who invented the sport in 1891 to give some of his young men at the Springfield YMCA something to do during the cold New England winter. At that time the game was called “Basket Ball” and soon caught on across the country. Today, more than 175 people have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame including legends like George Mikan, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Michael Jordan.
Struck to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Hall, the unique dome-shaped 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Half-Dollar Colorized Proof belongs in everyone’s collection. Secure yours now!
- A CURVED TRIBUTE TO THE BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME – This coin is part of the U.S. Mint’s 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Program that celebrates the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame with a collection of curved coins that features a trio of players on the obverse and a detailed basketball going through a basket on the domed reverse side.
- FIRST-EVER COLORIZED COIN FROM THE U.S. MINT – This coin is from the first-ever colorized coin series produced by the United States Mint.
- LEGAL TENDER U.S. COMMEMORATIVE – These 2020-S Basketball Hall of Fame Clad Half-Dollar Colorized Proofs were struck by the San Francisco Mint. Each is 50 cents legal tender and measures 30.61 mm in diameter.
- NEAR-PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020-S Basketball Hall of Fame Half-Dollar Colorized Proof was graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in near-perfect Proof-69 Ultra Cameo (PF69UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified that this proof is a First Releases (FR) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue.
- LIMITED EDITION RELEASE – The maximum mintage for the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Colorized Half-Dollar in either proof or uncirculated condition has been set at 75,000.
Don’t miss your shot; secure the 2020-S Basketball Hall of Fame Half-Dollar Colorized Proof today!