We’ve Found Fraser’s Lost Buffalo!
Famed American sculptor James Earle Fraser’s design for 1913 Buffalo Nickel is by any measurement a truly classic American coin — but it was not Fraser’s only Buffalo design! Two alternate versions were sketched by the one-time assistant to Augustus Saint-Gaudens in 1911, including one that may have been favored by Fraser himself, as he brought it to life decades later as a bronze plaque for a South Dakota high school. Now, on the 15th anniversary of the United States Mint’s Silver Buffalo bullion coin series, which resurrected Fraser’s original 1913 design, the National Park Foundation has authorized the striking of silver and gold proofs that finally bring Fraser’s Lost Buffalo Nickel design to life.
Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof Struck in Pure Silver
Using original plasters from the 1913 Buffalo Nickel and 1945 Hot Springs High School plaque as a guide, Fraser’s design was carefully recreated in spectacular Ultra High Relief. The commemorative medal was struck in two full ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and depicts a bison standing on a hill before a rising sun. While not a legal-tender coin, the medal’s obverse features the traditional portrait of an American Indian along with the 2021 year date. And, to make this medal even more stunning, it was struck with a Reverse Proof finish, meaning that instead of featuring frosted details rising over mirror-like fields, it displays mirrored details rising from frosty fields.
Certified Flawless First Day of Issue Medals
This proof has been certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 (PF70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded commemorative will have ZERO imperfections — showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified that this 2021 Two-Ounce Silver Fraser Lost Buffalo Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof is a First Day of Issue (FDI) specimen, meaning it was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date. Collectors seek out these pieces because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later. Also, the population of pieces labeled First Day of Issue is only a fraction of the total mintage.
World Exclusive Release
This is a world exclusive release, but mintages are limited. Only 4,999 of these proofs were authorized. Even fewer are available certified as flawless Proof-70 and First Day of Issue. Each will also come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with an exclusive James Earle Fraser commemorative label. With a limited edition this small, it’s a cinch that these commemoratives will not be available for long. So, don’t miss out; reserve one to your cart today!
- TRIBUTE TO FRASER’S “LOST” BUFFALO – This commemorative medal pays tribute to a design created by James Earle Fraser for the 1913 Buffalo Nickel that was not used. It was authorized by the National Park Foundation and depicts a bison standing on a hill before a rising sun on the reverse and the traditional portrait of an American Indian along with the 2021 year date on the obverse.
- ULTRA HIGH RELIEF DETAIL – These medals were struck in incredible Ultra High Relief (UHR) to showcase the exquisite designs.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each Commemorative medal available here was struck in two full ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measures 38.6 mm in diameter.
- UNIQUE REVERSE PROOF – These medals were struck with a unique Reverse Proof finish with mirrored details rising from frosty fields.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2021 Two-Ounce Silver Fraser Lost Buffalo Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof Medal has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in perfect Proof-70 (PF70) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified that this 2021 Two-Ounce Silver Fraser Lost Buffalo Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof is a First Day of Issue (FDI) specimen, independent authentication that it was released during the premier day of the series’ issue.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The edition limit for the 2021 Two-Ounce Silver Fraser Lost Buffalo Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof Medal has been set at only 4,999. Each medal will come in an acrylic holder with an exclusive James Earle Fraser commemorative label.
Own James Earle Fraser’s preferred Buffalo design with this 2021 Two-Ounce Silver Lost Buffalo Ultra High Relief Reverse Proof Medal. Reserve yours now to avoid disappointment later!