Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
270-275 AD Roman Empire Aurelianianus of Aurelian Father of Christmas Billon Coin
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $59.95 $58.18
Who Was “The Father of Christmas?”
In the nearly six years he was in power, Emperor Aurelian reunited the Roman Empire, quelled revolts and turned back invaders. He is also considered the Father of Christmas, as in A.D. 274 he proclaimed December 25th, the date upon which that year’s winter solstice fell, as “Natalis Solis Invicti,” or the festival of the birth of the unconquered sun. Christians of the time were being persecuted, and could not openly celebrate Christian holidays, so they secretly used this date to celebrate the birth of a different kind of “son” – Jesus Christ! Struck sometime during Aurelian’s reign, this ancient bronze coin displays an effigy of “The Father of Christmas” and comes in an album telling the incredible story. Only 146 remain in our vault, so secure yours now!
- COIN FROM THE MAN WHO ESTABLISHED CHRISTMAS – This coin was struck between 270 and 275 by Roman Emperor Aurelian, who, in an attempt unite all religions in the empire, dedicated a new temple to the Sun god Sol Invictus on December 25 during the winter solstice of 274 – forever marking December 25th as Christmas or “Christ’s mass” for Christians who, until then, had to celebrate the birth of Christ in secrecy.
- SCARCE, HARD-TO-FIND ANCIENT COIN – this ancient Bronze coin of the Roman Empire was discovered in a rare cache of coins that had been hidden away centuries ago. Throughout the 3rd Century Roman emperors were assassinated, and civil wars were rampant, meaning new coins were always replacing older coins as the Roman Mint struggled to keep up the changing faces of the emperors.
- CIRCULATED WITH LOTS OF DETAIL – Despite being more than 1,700 years old, this coin still exhibits nice detail, especially in the radiating crown worn by Aurelian and his square jaw and Roman nose.
- COMES WITH CUSTOM PACKAGING – Your ancient Roman Father of Christmas Bronze Coin will come beautifully displayed in a numismatic flip holder that includes a certificate of authenticity and a storycard that explains how Aurelian came to eb known as the “Father of Christmas.”
You can thank Roman Emperor Aurelian – a pagan no less! – for making December 25 Christmas. Learn the fascinating story with this 270-275 Roman “Father of Christmas” Bronze Coin. It’s loaded with detail one wouldn’t expect from a 1,700-year-old coin! Order yours now!
|Year of Issue||(Dates May Vary)|
|Coin Weight||2.7 Grams - g|