Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 China Silver Unicorn Vault Protector PF70UC 2-pc Set First Day of Issue w/Song Fei Signature
Protect Your Collection with these First Ever Silver Unicorn “Cash Coin” Proofs
Debuting in 1994, China’s Unicorn Series is not only one of the world’s most popular coin series, it has also transcended numismatics and carved out a popular niche among fans of the mythical beast. To mark the 25th anniversary of the series, the China Mint is releasing a very special addition to the series — the first-ever “cash coin” Unicorn with a square hole!
Many collectors are familiar with classic Chinese “cash” coins — round coins bearing an instantly identifiable square hole in the center. An efficient way to keep track of one’s money, the hole allowed coins to be easily tied together in units of 100, 300 or even a thousand pieces. For centuries, these small bronze coins were the most common currency used in every-day transactions in East Asia.
But on very special occasions, Chinese mints would cast larger, thicker and heavier cash coins. These coins were not made for circulation, however, but for ornamentation — and good luck! With red silk threaded through the holes, these coins were hung over altars in treasury vaults across Asia where offerings were made to the gods of fortune, prosperity and wealth. Many people believed these “Vault Protector” coins would ensure the favor of the gods and protect them against financial ruin. For this reason, scores of these coins were commonly used throughout China to guard public and private vaults.
Struck as gorgeous proofs in highly pure 99.9% silver at China’s branch mint in Shanghai, these 2019 Unicorn Vault Protectors feature both Eastern and Western interpretations of the mythic beast, this time placed together on the reverse. The obverse displays a section of the Great Wall of China. As you would expect from any release hailing from the China Mint, the detail is incredible having been expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
Your set will include the one-ounce and five-ounce silver proofs. Plus, each Unicorn Vault Protector Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proofs will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified your proofs to be a First Day of Issue (FDI) coins, meaning they were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date. Finally, your Unicorn Vault Protector Proofs will arrive sealed in protective holders and encapsulated with an exclusive Great Wall of China label that was personally signed by the coin’s designer Song Fei.
Only a limited number of two-piece proof sets are available, and with the vast majority staying in China, don’t miss your chance to add these lucky coins to your private vault. Click them to your cart today!
- FIRST-EVER RELEASE IN CHINA UNICORN SERIES – This is the first-ever “cash coin” release in China’s Unicorn series. Featuring a square hole in its center, it depicts both Eastern and Western Unicorns on the reverse while the obverse displays a section of the Great Wall of China.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – These 2019 China Unicorn Vault Protector Proofs were struck in highly pure 99.9% silver.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 China Unicorn Vault Protector Proofs have been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified your proofs to be a First Day of Issue (FDI) coins, independent authentication that your coins were released by the mint during the premier day of the series' issue.
- SIGNED BY THE COIN’S DESIGNER – These Unicorn Vault Protector Proofs will arrive sealed in protective holders and encapsulated with exclusive Great Wall of China labels that were personally signed by the coin’s designer Song Fei.
Secure the first ever Unicorn “cash coins” with the 2019 China Silver Unicorn Vault Protector Two-Piece Proof Set. Don’t wait, order yours now before they’re all gone!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Pedigree||First Day Of Issue|
|Mint Name||Shanghai New Century|
|Coin Weight||31.1 Grams - g, 155.5 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz, 5 Ounces - oz|