Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Japan Gold/CuNi Emperor Naruhito Enthronement NGC PF70UC First Day of Issue 2-pc Set
Banzai! Long Live Emperor Naruhito!
Following the abdication of his father Emperor Akihito, Japan’s Emperor Naruhito ascended to the throne in the spring of 2019 to become the 126th monarch according to Japan’s traditional order of succession. But that wasn’t the end of it. Naruhito still had to complete a series of ritual ceremonies attended by foreign dignitaries from more than 180 countries. Finally, on October 22, 2019, Naruhito completed his ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne in the Sokui no Rei ceremony during which he officially proclaimed his status as emperor to the world.
To honor this solemn and historic event, Japan has released a pair of coins commemorating Naruhito’s enthronement – the FIRST commemorative Proof coins issued under his reign. Unfortunately, the mintage was relatively small – just 27,000 two-coin sets were produced – and it proved to be an immense hit right out of the gate. In fact, the Japan Mint received more than 370,000 purchase applications and had to resort to a lottery system to determine who would own these coins in the Asian markets. Luckily, 10% of the mintage was set aside for foreign buyers and we did our best to secure as many of those sets as possible.
The two legal-tender coins included in the set are a 10,000 Yen coin struck in 20 grams of 99.9% gold and a 7-gram copper-nickel (CuNi) coin bearing a denomination of 500 Yen. The gold coin is a superb creation that depicts a mighty phoenix, its wings spread wide, in representation of the emperor. Why a fiery bird? It’s simple: An actual image of the emperor is typically never used as it is considered disrespectful to depict an emperor on coinage. The copper-nickel coin features the Imperial Throne that was used during Naruhito’s enthronement ceremony. The reverse of each coin features the Imperial Crest of the Chrysanthemum – an image that has graced Japanese coins for centuries.
Each coin in this amazing two-piece set has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proofs will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified your proofs to be First Day of issue (FDI) coins, a designation that means your coins were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date.
Your set will arrive in a deluxe presentation case and will be accompanied by a mint-issued Certificate of Authenticity. Based on demand alone, these coins are sure to become one of 2019’s hottest international issues. They’re already sold out at the mint so hurry and secure yours now before our limited supply runs out!
- CELEBRATING A NEW EMPEROR – These coins are the FIRST coins dedicated to His Majesty Japanese Emperor Naruhito enthronement. He is depicted as a mighty phoenix on the gold coin. The copper-nickel coin displays the Imperial Throne that was used during his enthronement ceremony held on October 22, 2019. The reverse of each coin shows the Imperial Crest of the Chrysanthemum.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE GOLD – Each gold coin in this Emperor Naruhito Enthronement Two-Piece Proof Set is struck in 20 grams of highly-pure 99.9% gold.
- LEGAL TENDER IN JAPAN – These Emperor Naruhito Enthronement coins are legal tender in Japan. The gold coin is 10,000 Yen and measures 28 mm in diameter and the copper-nickel coin is 500 Yen and measures 26.5 mm in diameter.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – The coins in your 2019 Japan Emperor Naruhito Enthronement Two-Piece Proof Set have been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has graded your proofs to be First Day of issue (FDI) coins, a designation that means your coins were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The 2019 Japan Emperor Naruhito Enthronement Two-Piece Proof Set is limited to just 27,000 – with only 10% of the mintage authorized for foreign distribution!
Worldwide demand for the 2019 Japan Emperor Naruhito Enthronement Two-Piece Proof Set has been overwhelming. Don’t miss out on this incredible numismatic event. Click one to your cart today while they are still available!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Composition||Gold, Copper-Nickel - CuNi|
|Pedigree||First Day Of Issue|
|Mint Name||Japan Mint|
|Coin Weight||7 Grams - g, 20 Grams - g|