The Grandfather of the Krugerrand
The South African Gold Krugerrand is the world’s first modern gold bullion coin. But in the late 19th century, South Africa had a different gold coin: the Pond. Struck from 1892 to 1900, the Pond circulated at a time when the nation was fighting to throw of the shackles of British domination. Each coin features the same obverse as the Krugerrand: South Africa’s first president, Paul Kruger, a design that gave the coin the nickname of “The Grandfather of the Krugerrand.”
Discovery of the Lost Hoard
Recently, a large hoard of Ponds and Half Ponds was discovered in Europe, housed in an original mint bag. Due to the political turmoil of the time, most Ponds were destroyed or lost during South Africa’s Revolutionary War. Thus, a Gold Pond hoard of this size is very unusual. The South African Mint stepped in and acquired the entire hoard and then sent the coins off to the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) for grading and certification. And now they’ve returned, ready to become a part of your collection complete with labels certifying them as coming from “The Lost Hoard.”
Special Two-Coin Set
Not only can you acquire a seldom-seen single Gold Half Pond coin in this offer, but it’s an 1895-dated coin graded in nice About Uncirculated-50 (AU50) condition with the detail of its strike still visible more than 120 years later. Plus, in this offer you’ll receive a special 2019-dated Tenth-Ounce Gold Krugerrand in Gem Proof condition with a “Lost Hoard” privy mark. The Half Pond coin measures 19.4 mm in diameter while the Tenth-Ounce Krugerrand measures 16.5 mm in diameter. Both feature the same 91.7% (22 karat) gold fineness and NGC has sonically sealed the coins in acrylic display holders.
Signed by South African Mint’s Tumi Tsehlo
In addition, each Gold Half Pond ‘s label will and feature the signature of Tumi Tsehlo, former Managing Director of the South African Mint and the architect who helped secure this amazing hoard. Both coins will come beautifully housed in a custom wood presentation case along with a Certificate of Authenticity from the South African Mint, a story booklet on the Lost Hoard, and a reproduction of the mint bag the hoard was discovered in.
Krugerrands with the special “The Lost Hoard” privy mark are only available as a part of this incredible release. Just 233 of these coins were ever struck, making them the lowest mintage Tenth-Ounce Gold Krugerrands ever struck by the South African Mint. If you’re a Krugerrand collector, or ever thought about becoming one, this set is an absolute, no-bones about it, must-have. Don’t miss this opportunity because when these coins are gone who knows when we will ever be able to offer them again!
- INCREDIBLE GOLD PONDS FROM THE 19 CENTURY – Struck from 1892 to 1900, South Africa’s Gold Ponds feature the same obverse as the Krugerrand: South African President Paul Kruger. The reverse shows an Eagle Above Royal Seal.
- PAIRED WITH A MODERN KRUGERRAND – Like all Krugerrands before it, this 2019-dated coin features the bust of South African President Paul Kruger. These special Krugerrands also feature a privy mark the reads, “THE LOST HOARD” just above the iconic springbok antelope depicted on the reverse.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE GOLD – Both coins are struck in highly pure 91.7% fine (22 karat) gold. The Half Pond coin measures 19.4 mm in diameter while the Tenth-Ounce Krugerrand measures 16.5 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER COINS – Although gold Krugerrand coins have no face value, they are considered legal tender in South Africa. The vintage Pond coin was a 1/2 Pond legal tender in South Africa.
- VERY LOW MINTAGES – Just 135,000 Gold Half Ponds were struck in 1895, and just 233 “Lost Hoard” privy marked Tenth-Ounce Gold Krugerrands were struck in 2019.
Don’t miss your chance to secure “The Grandfather of the Krugerrand” paired with a low-mintage privy-marked Krugerrand with this spectacular 1895 South Africa Gold Half Pond and Tenth-Ounce Gold Krugerrand Lost Hoard Two-Piece Set. Only limited quantities are available so order yours now!