Stunning Morgan Silver Dollars from the Great Southern Treasury Hoard!
Finding a secret hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars doesn’t happen very often, but when it does collectors are always keen to get their hands them. For such a hoard to exist today, someone would have had to have obtained these coins during the Treasury Hoard release of the early 1960s and then miraculously left them untouched for more than 50 years. And that’s just what happened with this newly discovered stash of coins that has been hailed as The Great Southern Treasury Hoard!
Consisting of 13,000 vintage U.S. Morgan Silver Dollars, the collection was amassed by a single man bent on stockpiling cold hard currency as a hedge against financial ruin. Raised during the Great Depression, this individual not only survived America’s worst economic crisis, he also suffered from diabetes, an illness that in the 1930s and ’40s was tantamount to a death sentence. Somehow the boy not only survived but became a physician. As he grew older, the fear of another financial catastrophe never left his mind. To avoid future calamity, he amassed this enormous hoard.
As it turned out, each and every one of these Morgans was struck at the famous New Orleans Mint. The New Orleans Mint is the only U.S. branch mint to have served under three governing bodies: The United States of America, the State of Louisiana and the Confederate States of America. Each also features the instantly recognizable “O” mint mark.
After this man passed away, his family decided to honor his legacy by making these coins available to an eager public. Now you can own a piece of the incredible Great Southern Treasury Hoard with this three-piece set consisting of Morgans struck by the New Orleans Mint in 1882, 1888 and 1902. Not only has each coin been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in stunning Choice Uncirculated Mint State-63 (MS63) condition, but NGC has also sealed them in protective coin capsules and added a special pedigreed label certifying that they hail from the famous Great Southern Treasury Hoard.
In addition, each label was personally signed by Edmund Moy, 38th Director of the U.S. Mint. During his time as director from 2006 to 2011, Moy oversaw the launch of several popular modern coins including the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. You’ll also receive a certified section of a New Orleans Mint bag from the actual hoard, an authentic 19th century New Orleans newspaper (not a reprint!), an 1870s Louisiana bond, a storybook on the Great Southern Treasury Hoard, a storybook on the U.S. Treasury Hoard and a storycard on the New Orleans Mint.
As you can imagine, these sets are extremely limited, so don’t wait; secure your piece of this fantastic discovery by adding this Morgan Silver Dollar Great Southern Treasury Hoard Three-Piece Set to your cart right now!
- THE GREAT SOUTHERN TREASURY HOARD – These coins hail from the massive Great Southern Treasury Hoard. The hoard consisted 13,000 Morgan Silver Dollars acquired during the Treasury Hoard releases of the early 1960s. This collection was amassed by a man bent on stockpiling cold hard currency as a hedge against financial ruin and all the coins in his collection were struck at the New Orleans Mint.
- AMERICA’S MOST POPULAR COIN – The Morgan Silver Dollar – so named for its designer, U.S. Mint Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan – has stood the test of time. Struck from 1878-1904 and again in 1921, it was the coin of America’s “Wild West” and jingled in the coin purses of gamblers, gunfighters, soldiers and dance hall girls.
- CLASSIC DESIGNS – Morgan’s historic design depicts a profile of Lady Liberty on the obverse while the reverse features an eagle with outstretched wings. The model used for Liberty was Miss Anna Williams of Philadelphia, who Morgan declared to have the most perfect feminine profile he had ever seen.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING AMERICAN SILVER – Struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver from the famous Comstock Lode, the Morgan Silver Dollar is a big coin measuring 38.1 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER SILVER DOLLAR – Morgans were $1 legal tender and struck during the heyday of America’s Wild West era where coins were overwhelmingly preferred over paper currency.
- HIGH-GRADE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – These Morgan Silver Dollars were graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Choice Uncirculated Mint State-63 (MS63) condition, meaning that they are high-grade coins that are as crisp and fresh as the day they left the New Orleans Mint more than a century ago.
- SPECIAL PEDIGREED LABEL – Your coins will be encapsulated in acrylic coin holders with special “Great Southern Treasury Hoard” labels.
- SIGNED BY FORMER U.S. MINT OFFICIAL – The labels encapsulated with these coins have been personally signed by Edmund Moy, who served as the 38th Director of the U.S. Mint from 2006 to 2011.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGANS – While millions of Morgan Silver Dollars were struck from 1878 through 1921, massive silver meltings and the ravages of time have taken their toll. Today coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence!
Get a piece of the Great Southern Hoard of Morgan Silver Dollars from the original U.S. Treasury Hoard with this three-piece set of New Orleans Mint Morgans in high-grade Mint State-63 condition and pedigreed by NGC as being from this amazing hoard!