Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
3rd-1st Century BC Roman Random Silver Denarius NGC VF
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $209.00 $202.83
$104.50 / month
Ancient Silver Denarius form the Glory Years of the Roman Republic
- POPULAR AND HEAVILY CIRCULATED ROMAN CURRENCY – These coins were among the ancient world’s most widely circulated coins. Issued during the height of the Roman Republic, the Silver Denarius was so popular that it remained in circulation for more than four centuries!
- STRUCK MORE THAN 2,000 YEARS AGO – Each coin in this offer was struck from the 1st to the 3rd centuries BC during the height of the Roman Republic more than 2,000 years ago.
- HIGH-GRADE ANCIENT COIN – Your Roman Silver Denarius coin has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in Very Fine (VF) condition, a high grade for an ancient coin.
- HAND-SELECTED FOR QUALITY AND APPEARANCE – Each Roman Silver Denarius coin was hand-selected by experts in ancient coinage for overall sharpness and eye appeal.
- SEALED IN A PROTECTIVE HOLDER – Your coin has been sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a white display core – giving you the best in protection while granting clear sightlines into every beautiful detail.
The Silver Denarius of ancient Rome was much like our dime today. The smallest unit of currency then in circulation was the aes or as, a small bronze coin that featured the bust of Janus and the prow of a galley on the reverse. A Denarius was originally equal to 10 asses. Even the name Denarius means “containing ten.” These coins played a key role in everyday commerce throughout the Republic. In fact, according to historians, a Silver Denarius would likely have been a day’s wage for an unskilled laborer. These coins first appeared in the 3rd century BC and would continue to be struck for the next 400 years
Recently we came into possession of a large hoard of these ancient coins struck from the 3rd to the 1st Centuries BC. What makes this hoard so remarkable is the condition – each has been certified and graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in nice Very Fine (VF) condition. That’s a high grade for an ancient coin, with only moderate wear on the higher surface features and lettering and images with good detail.
In this offer, we’re giving you the opportunity to purchase an ancient Roman Republic Silver Denarius coins based on the coin’s grading and not the year or design. This random date option is an exciting way to add the most widely circulated coin of ancient Rome to your collection. Each will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a white display core – giving you the best in protection while granting clear sightlines into every beautiful detail.
The coins in this offer feature a variety of designs. Some designs were very prominent, such as that of a Roman quadriga chariot on the reverse and Roma wearing a winged helm on the obverse. Many of the designs were chosen at the whim of the coin’s maker – a moneyer. Whatever the design, this silver coin would have paid a legionary soldier for about three days and bought enough wheat to bake his daily bread for nearly a month.
The standard Roman silver coins for nearly half a millennium, the Denarius remains one of the world’s most widely circulated coins ever minted. Its widespread use and popularity influenced cultures across Europe and the Mideast where future coinage all took their name from the Latin word Denarius. Now you can let one of these magnificent coins circulate in your collection – but only if you add one to your cart today!
|Coin Weight||3.76 Grams - g|