Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1984 5 Yuan Silver China Historical Figures 4-pc Proof Set
China Enlists Terracotta Warriors to Launch Its First Historical Figures Set
Among the most famous – and mysterious – relics of ancient China is an army of terracotta warriors discovered in 1974 by a group of farmers digging a well in central China. The vast army includes thousands of soldiers, chariots and horses – all depicting the army of Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China and buried with him to protect him in the afterlife.
Those faithful warriors were given new life by the China Mint in 1984 when they were used as the theme for China’s first Historical Figures set. Each coin in the fabulous four-piece set was struck in 90% fine silver and features its own unique, one-year-only design. The designs for this first-ever set includes one soldier facing left, another facing right, a third solder kneeling and finally a soldier with his horse. Each 5 Yuan legal-tender coin measures 36 mm in diameter to showcase the frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
China’s famous collection of terracotta soldiers is a fascinating testament to the power and glory of ancient Chinese emperors. Buried with Qin Shi Huang around 210-209 BC, each sculpture has its own face and expression. Each also varies in height according to rank with generals being the tallest. The 8,000-strong army is so detailed that it even includes non-military figures of government officials, acrobats and musicians. The massive site – the entire necropolis is nearly 40 square miles in size! – has since been named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is still studied by scientists who have yet to unravel all the secrets of the emperor’s tomb.
There’s no secret about this set – just 19,301 were ever struck and this is the first time we have ever been able to offer them to our customers. Also known as the “Founder of Chinese Culture” series, these sets are very popular and hard to find. Each set comes in its original government packaging consisting of a beautiful presentation case and a certificate of authenticity. Don’t delay, click one to your cart today!
- FIRST RELEASE IN TEN-YEAR-SERIES – For the first release in its Historical Figures series, the China Mint selected a theme dedicated to the famous Terracotta Army, a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the army of Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China. The set includes four one-year-only reverse designs, each depicting a different soldier. The common obverse features the Peoples Republic of China circle and five stars.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING SILVER – The coins in this set were each struck in 22 grams of 90% fine silver and measure 36 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINS – Each coin in this set is 5 Yuan legal tender in China.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – The coins in your set all come in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning each was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The 1984 China Historical Figures Four-Piece Silver Proof Set has a small edition limit of just 19,301. Your set will arrive in its original government packaging.
Hurry! To amass an army of silver with the 1984 China Historical Figures Four-Piece Silver Proof Set, you’ll have to act fact because few of these sets are still available after the initial release 35 years ago!
|Year of Issue||1984|
|Mint Name||China Mint|
|Coin Weight||22 Grams - g|
|Weight||2.5 ounces - oz|