U.S. Mint’s Basketball Commemorative Coin Program Is a Slam Dunk!
From the time the first game was played with peach baskets nailed to the walls at either end of a gymnasium to today’s high-flying, rim-rattling dunks, basketball has evolved from an activity played at a lone YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts to a multi-billion dollar global sport played by some of the world’s greatest athletes. To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020, the United States Mint released its Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Program that features a series of curved coins depicting a trio of players on one side and a detailed basketball going through a basket on the domed reverse side.
In this offer you can score the a complete six-piece set of Uncirculated and Proof coins graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Mint State-70 (MS70) and Proof-70 (PF70) condition, a distinction that means these perfectly-graded coins will have ZERO imperfections — showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified that these commemoratives are First Day of Issue (FDI) coins, meaning they were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date.
And to really hook you in, each coin in this six-piece set has been sonically sealed in an acrylic holder and encapsulated with a special label personally signed by basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The NBA’s all-time leading scorer and only six-time regular-season Most Valuable Player, Abdul-Jabbar is also arguably college basketball’s greatest player, leading UCLA to an 88-2 record over three seasons and three straight NCAA championships. His famous “sky-hook” was his signature move and was almost impossible to block.
Like the Baseball Hall of Fame series that came before them, the curved nature of these coins serves to accentuate the look of a round ball. The domed basketball reverse on each coin is so detailed that you can see the hundreds of little “pebbles” that dot the surface just like a real basketball. You’ll almost feel like palming one of these “rocks” and jacking up a three-pointer! The coins in your set include:
- The 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Clad Half-Dollar. The Uncirculated coin was struck by the Denver Mint and the Proof coin was struck at the San Francisco Mint. Each measures 30.61 mm in diameter.
- The 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Silver Dollar. Both the Uncirculated and Proof coins were struck at the Philadelphia Mint in 26.73 grams of highly pure 99.9% silver and measure 38.1 mm in diameter.
- The 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Gold Half Eagle. Both the Uncirculated and Proof coins were struck at the West Point Mint in 8.359 grams of 90% fine gold and measure 21.59 mm in diameter.
The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame opened in 1959 in Springfield, Massachusetts. Within its inaugural class was its namesake Dr. James Naismith, who invented the sport in 1891 to give some of his young men at the Springfield YMCA something to do during the cold New England winter. At that time the game was called “Basket Ball” and soon caught on across the country. Today, more than 175 people have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame including legends like George Mikan, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Michael Jordan.
Struck to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Hall, these unique dome-shaped 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Coins belong in everyone’s collection. Only 100 sets are available graded by NGC as MS70/PF70, certified as FDI and sealed with labels hand-signed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Don’t wait; secure yours now!
- A CURVED TRIBUTE TO THE BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME – These coins are part of the U.S. Mint’s 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Program that celebrates the 60th Anniversary of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame with a collection of curved coins that features a trio of players on the obverse and a detailed basketball going through a basket on the domed reverse side.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER & GOLD – The Silver Dollar in this set was struck in 26.73 grams of 99.9% fine silver and the Gold Half Eagle was struck in 8.359 grams of 90% fine gold.
- LEGAL TENDER U.S. COMMEMORATIVES – These United States 2020-W Basketball Hall of Fame Commemoratives are 50 cents, $1 and $5 legal tender.
- PERFECT UNCIRCULATED & PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020-W Basketball Hall of Fame coins have been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in Mint State-70 (MS70) and Proof-70 (PF70) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified that your Basketball Hall of Fame Commemoratives are First Day of Issue (FDI) coins, independent authentication that they were released by the mint during the premier day of the series’ issue.
- HAND-SIGNED BY KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR – Each coin has been sealed with a special label hand-signed by legendary basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabber.
- LIMITED EDITION RELEASE – The U.S. Mint will be releasing a maximum of 750,000 clad Half Dollars, 400,000 Silver Dollars and 50,00 Gold Half Eagles. Only 100 sets are available graded by NGC as MS70/PF70, certified as FDI and sealed with labels hand-signed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
Don’t miss your shot; secure the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Proof & Uncirculated Six-Piece Set today!