Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
Apollo 11 Robbins Medal 1-oz Silver with Space Flown Alloy Antiqued NGC MS70 - 50th Anniversary Commemorative
The First Moon Walk: From the Astronauts’ Pockets to Your Collection!
Millions of people held their breath in collective anticipation on July 20, 1969 as grainy images from television screens across the world showed a man slowly descending a ladder. But it wasn’t just any ladder and it wasn’t just any man; it was American Astronaut Neil Armstrong descending from the lunar module Eagle to the surface of the moon. As he stepped down, Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon and proclaimed, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when this remarkable achievement in human history occurred, but few can grasp all the years of preparation needed to make it possible. Fewer still know about the special payload that was blasted into space along with Armstrong and his fellow Astronauts Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin and Michael Collins on the Apollo 11 mission that made history. Besides all of the technical gear and equipment necessary to get them to the moon and back, the trio also carried with them a small cache of medals that were designed and minted exclusively for the astronauts!
Starting with Apollo 7, the Robbins Company of Attleboro, Massachusetts began working with one or more astronauts from each mission to design and strike medallions that would travel aboard their flights into space. Paid for by the crews and available for purchase only by NASA astronauts and members of the Astronaut Flight Office (AFO) support crew, these sterling silver mementos usually had very limited mintages of only 100 to 450 medals per mission. Today, these prized medals sell for tens of thousands of dollars at auction.
The fact that the Robbins medallions were actually flown aboard the space missions, were closely associated with the astronauts, and are seldom available and only in restricted quantities make them highly sought-after collectibles on the few times they are available. But now, thanks to GovMint’s standing in the numismatic world, we have been able to partner with Neil Armstrong’s son, Mark, to use the original dies of the historic Apollo 11 Robbins Medals and made new dies to create these commemorative medals celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission!
Struck in one ounce of 99.9% silver, this Apollo 11commemorative replicates the original medal’s design with an American Eagle landing on the moon on the obverse. On the reverse you’ll find the three names of the astronauts and the Launched, Landed and Returned dates just like on the original medal. In celebration of this historic event, the engravings of “50th Anniversary” and “1969-2019” have been added to the design. In addition, each silver medal has also been selectively layered with a metal alloy that has actually flown on an Apollo mission!
Your Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal One-Ounce Silver Restrike has been graded by Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (CAG) – an affiliate of the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) – as being in perfect Antique Finish Mint State 70 (MS70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded medal will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. Each medal will arrive in its own presentation case and accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity and an informative storycard. Your medal will come encapsulated in in an acrylic holder with an exclusive NGC/CAG co-branded label that includes an image taken from the Robbins medal with the surface of the moon in the background.
Coin collectors, history buffs, fans of space and science, and people who enjoy owning pieces of Americana will all be clamoring for this historic medal. And while the limited edition for this piece is just 25,000, the number that will come in this pristine grade and certification is vastly smaller. Order yours now!
NOTE: A portion of the proceeds will benefit charities endorsed by the Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins families.
- MEDALS MADE FROM ORIGINAL DIES – These Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal One-Ounce Silver Restrikes were made from the original dies used by the Robbins Company to strike an extremely limited number of medallions that traveled aboard the mission. The Robbins Company worked directly with the astronauts to create a medal replicating the mission patch design that featured an American Eagle about to land on the moon with Mother Earth floating above in the background. The medal’s reverse includes the names of the astronauts – Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin – along with the dates of launch, moon landing and return. On the original medals that flew in space, the dates were left blank and were to be engraved upon their return to Earth. In addition, each silver medal has also been selectively layered with a metal alloy that has actually flown on an Apollo mission!
- COMMEMORATING MANKIND’S MOST SIGNIFICANT ACCOMPLISHMENT – Humans have always been fascinated by the moon. Once technology caught up with our dreams, the quest to put a man on the moon was no longer a fantasy. Finally, on July 20, 1969, American Astronaut Neil Armstrong descended from the lunar module Eagle and upon setting foot on the moon proclaimed, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER – Your Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal Silver Restrike is struck in one ounce of 99.9% silver. You’ll see this silver purity engraved on the medal’s edge where it reads: “1 oz 999 AG.”
- GRADED IN PERFECT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal One-Ounce Silver Restrike has been graded by Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (CAG) – an affiliate of the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) – as being in perfect Antique Finish Mint State 70 (MS70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded medal will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
- EXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION – The worldwide edition limit for these Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal One-Ounce Silver Restrikes is just 25,000. Your medal will come encapsulated in in an acrylic holder with an exclusive NGC/CAG co-branded label that includes an image taken from the Robbins medal with the surface of the moon in the background.
- EXCLUSIVE RELEASE – To commemorate the 50th anniversary of this monumental event, GovMint has partnered with Neil Armstrong’s son, Mark, to use the original dies to create these Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Robbins Medal One-Ounce Silver Restrikes. The medals will be struck for one year only from July 20, 2018 through July 20, 2019 – the 50th anniversary of the day that Neil Armstrong became the first man on the moon.
If there was ever a numismatic collectible that was described as being “out of this world,” it would be these Apollo 11 Fiftieth Anniversary Commemorative Medals. Secure one now and own a piece of history!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Sunshine Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.10 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|