You’ll Flip Over This Big Sea Turtle!
Just one glimpse at the Loggerhead sea turtle and you’ll quickly understand how it got its name: its head is a broad, massive alien-like bulb that looks like a big log. But don’t let appearances deceive you; while that head and its sleepy eyes may like look innocent enough, the Loggerhead uses its powerful jaws to crush and crunch other creatures such as clams, crabs, mussels, sea urchins and occasionally fish to keep its belly full.
Now you can bring one of these big guys home thanks to this awesome legal-tender proof that features this unique sea turtle in full color! Struck by the world-renowned British Pobjoy Mint in eight grams of gleaming Cupronickel (CuNi), this legal-tender 50-pence coin was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
The seven-sided coin depicts a big Loggerhead in brilliant shades of brown, white and yellow effortlessly gliding through the water propelled by its massive flippers. The third release in Pobjoy’s Turtle Series, this coin is legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), an area that plays an important role in the life of this marine animal thanks to the territory’s shallow inlets which provide much-needed foraging ground for immature turtles.
Full-grown Loggerheads can weigh around 350 pounds and their shells measure nearly three feet in length. When swimming underwater, their large flippers look like wings as they glide through ocean currents in search of food. Like all sea turtle species, Loggerheads face many threats that impact their population numbers. Coastal development has reduced the area where they can successfully nest, dogs and other animals often destroy their nests, and humans routinely harvest their eggs for food.
On land, turtles may be slow, but get them in water and watch out! The same can be said for these coins. With only 3,750 minted for worldwide release, these gorgeous colorized proofs will not be around for long. Reserve one to your cart now before they’re all gone!
- THIRD ISSUE IN TURTLE SERIES – This coin is the third release in the Pobjoy Mint’s Turtle Series and depicts the Loggerhead Turtle in full color. The coin’s obverse features the Pobjoy Mint’s exclusive effigy of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN CUPRONICKEL – Each Loggerhead Turtle Colorized Proof was struck in eight grams of Cupronickel (CuNi) and measures 27.3 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER COINAGE – These Loggerhead Turtle Colorized Proofs are 50 pence legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), a group of islands located in the Indian Ocean halfway between Africa and Indonesia.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 BIOT Loggerhead Turtle Colorized Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The edition limit for the Loggerhead Turtle Colorized Proof has been set at only 3,750.
The 2019 BIOT 50-Pence 8-gm CuNi Loggerhead Turtle Colorized Proof is one of the most exotic coins you’ll ever see! Don’t wait; add it your collection today!