Meet the Olive Ridley Turtle – The Original Party Animal
The smallest of the world’s sea turtles, the Olive Ridley turtle, is a solitary creature that migrates several hundred miles every year for one big blow-out called the arribada, a mass beach nesting party that seemingly occurs out of nowhere when these turtles emerge by the thousands from the sea only to vanish a few days later as if they had never been there. It’s been described as one of the most spectacular manifestations of reptile life on the planet and it has every appearance of a beach invasion by an army of armored aliens – and invasion that is easily disrupted by unthinking tourists who insist on making themselves part of the ritual.
Now you CAN be part of the ritual without interfering with the vital nesting process thanks to this awesome legal-tender proof that features the exotic sea turtle in full color! Struck by the world-renowned British Pobjoy Mint in eight grams of gleaming Cupronickel (CuNi), this legal-tender 50-pence coin was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
The seven-sided coin depicts a gentle Olive Ridley turtle in brilliant shades of olive green, yellow, grey and white as it blissfully floats in the warm tropical waters of its native habitat. The fifth and final release in Pobjoy’s Turtle Series, this coin is legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), an area that plays an important role in the life of this marine animal thanks to the territory’s shallow inlets which provide much-needed foraging ground for immature turtles.
Growing to about 2 feet long and weighing around 100 pounds, Olive Ridley turtles are the most abundant of all sea turtles. Despite this, they are also classified as a vulnerable species due to predators like raccoons, coyotes, dogs and snakes disturbing nests, pilfering eggs and preying on hatchlings. Another threat to this creature’s survival is the arribada itself, where the density of nesting turtles is so high that females inadvertently destroy existing nests made just days or even hours earlier. These turtles are also a fundamental link in marine ecosystems because they help maintain the health of coral reefs and sea grass beds.
On land, turtles may be slow, but get them in water and watch out! The same can be said for these coins. With only 3,750 minted for worldwide release, these gorgeous colorized proofs will not be around for long. Click one to your cart now before they’re all gone!
- FINAL ISSUE IN TURTLE SERIES – This coin is the fifth and final release in the Pobjoy Mint’s Turtle Series and depicts the Olive Ridley Turtle in full color. The coin’s obverse features the Pobjoy Mint’s exclusive effigy of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN CUPRONICKEL – Each Olive Ridley Turtle Colorized Proof was struck in eight grams of Cupronickel (CuNi) and measures 27.3 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER COINAGE – These Olive Ridley Turtle Colorized Proofs are 50 pence legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), a group of islands located in the Indian Ocean halfway between Africa and Indonesia.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 BIOT Olive Ridley Turtle Colorized Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The edition limit for the Olive Ridley Turtle Colorized Proof has been set at only 3,750.
The 2019 BIOT 50-Pence 8-gm CuNi Olive Ridley Turtle Colorized Proof is one coin you’ll certainly want nesting in your collection. Don’t wait; add it your collection today!