Let the World’s Largest Turtle Dive Into Your Collection
It’s called a Leatherback Turtle, and at seven feet long and weighing in at more than 2,000 pounds, this humongous reptilian relic of prehistoric times is the largest turtle on earth. Besides its enormous size, what also sets the Leatherback apart from all other sea turtles is its tear drop-shaped shell. Unlike all other sea turtles that have hard, bony shells, the Leatherback’s inky blue shell is almost rubbery to the touch, a trait that answers the question of how the Leatherback got its name.
Now you can bring this giant turtle home to your collection courtesy of this awesome legal-tender proof that features this unique sea turtle in full color! Struck by the world-renowned British Pobjoy Mint in eight grams of gleaming Cupronickel (CuNi), this legal-tender 50-pence coin was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
The seven-sided coin depicts a massive Leatherback in brilliant shades of blue, grey and white as it descends in deep ocean waters. The fourth release in Pobjoy’s Turtle Series, this coin is legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), an area that plays an important role in the life of this marine animal thanks to the territory’s shallow inlets which provide much-needed foraging ground for immature turtles.
The hydrodynamic shape of the Leatherback Turtle helps it go where no other turtles can go. These intrepid ocean creatures can dive to depths of 4,200 feet and can stay under water for nearly an hour and a half! The Leatherback has also adapted to the temperatures of the ocean’s cold depths – its large body, blood flow and a thick layer of fat helps it generate and retain body heat, thus allowing it to survive in cold water where other turtles cannot. Classified as vulnerable, only about 1 out of every 1,000 hatchlings ever reach adulthood. Those that do face the constant threat of fishing lines & nets, collisions with boats and the consumption of floating plastic debris that is commonly mistaken for their favorite food: jellyfish.
On land, turtles may be slow, but get them in water and watch out! The same can be said for these coins. With only 3,750 minted for worldwide release, these gorgeous colorized proofs will not be around for long. Reserve one to your cart now before they’re all gone!
- FOURTH ISSUE IN TURTLE SERIES – This coin is the fourth release in the Pobjoy Mint’s Turtle Series and depicts the Leatherback Turtle in full color. The coin’s obverse features the Pobjoy Mint’s exclusive effigy of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN CUPRONICKEL – Each Leatherback Turtle Colorized Proof was struck in eight grams of Cupronickel (CuNi) and measures 27.3 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER COINAGE – These Leatherback Turtle Colorized Proofs are 50 pence legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), a group of islands located in the Indian Ocean halfway between Africa and Indonesia.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 BIOT Leatherback Turtle Colorized Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The edition limit for the Leatherback Turtle Colorized Proof has been set at only 3,750.
The 2019 BIOT 50-Pence 8-gm CuNi Leatherback Turtle Colorized Proof is one of the coolest coins you’ll ever see! Don’t wait; add it your collection today!