Canada Pays Tribute to its Victory Over Russia’s “Red Army”
In 1972, Team Canada played an eight-game “Summit Series” against the Soviet Union’s “Red Army” in what turned out to be an epic clash of the hockey world’s reigning superpowers. Heading into the final game, the series was all knotted up at three games apiece with one tie. In what turned out to be arguably one of the greatest hockey games ever played, Paul Henderson scored an astonishing three goals in the third period, including the game-winning goal with just 34 seconds left in the game to lift Team Canada to a thrilling 6-5 victory and a 4-3-1 victory in the series.
Played out against a backdrop of the Cold War, Henderson's goal has been described as the “goal that everyone remembers” or simply “The Goal.” To pay tribute to the 25th Anniversary of the series in 1997, the Royal Canadian Mint issued a commemorative silver dollar that depicts Paul Henderson celebrating the winning goal with his teammates, with the goal net in the background. This design is based on a painting of Andre L'Archeveque, which belongs to the “Great Moments in Canadian Sport” owned by London Life. Above the net is the dual dates of 1972 and 1997 separated by a maple leaf.
This exciting coin was struck is 25.18 grams of highly pure 92.5% Sterling silver and was limited to a mintage of just 155,252. Plus, each 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar available here comes in original Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, as sharp and crisp as the day it left the mint.
In addition to the coin, you will also receive a 1984 Topps Wayne Gretzky Card graded by Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) in Near Mint-Mint 8 condition. After producing no hockey card sets in 1982 and 1983, Topps returned in 1984 with a small, 165-card set that included just three cards each for the seven Canadian teams that existed at that time in the NHL. That meant that Gretzky’s team, the 1983-84 Stanley Cup Champion Edmonton Oilers, had just three players represented. Not yet known as The Great One then, we’re lucky there was even a Gretzky card at all in 1984!
The NHL has never seen the likes of Gretzky’s jaw-dropping playmaking skills, and it may never see them again. In fact, Gretzky holds or shares 61 records listed in the League’s Official Guide and Record Book, including most career points (2,857), most career goals (894), most career assists (1,963), most points in a season (215), most goals in a season (92), most assists in a season (163) and the longest streak with at least one point (51 games). In 1987, he led Team Canada to a 2-1 series win against the Russians to win that year’s Canada Cup. The best-of-three series between Canada and the Soviets is considered by many hockey experts as the best display of hockey they had ever seen.
Get the coin. Get the Card. Capture the legendary moment. Add the 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar and the 1984 Topps Gretzky card to your collection today!
- A TRIBUTE TO ONE OF CANADA’S GREATEST HOCKEY MOMENTS – This coin was struck by the Royal Canadian Mint in 1997 to pay tribute to the 25th anniversary of the Canada/USSR Hockey Summit Series of 1972. It shows the climactic goal of the series’ eighth and final game. The coin’s obverse displays the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar was struck in 25.18 grams of highly pure 92.5% Sterling silver and measures 36.07 mm in diameter.
- CANADIAN LEGAL TENDER – These Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver coins are $1 legal tender in Canada.
- BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar comes in original Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The one-year-only 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar has a limited edition of just 155,252.
- BONUS GRETZKY TRADING CARD – Accompanying this coin is a 1984 Topps Gretzky trading card graded by Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) in Near Mint-Mint 8 condition.
Relive one of Canada’s greatest sports moments with the 1997 Canada vs Russia 25th Anniversary Hockey Summit Series Silver Dollar. Click one to your cart today!