The mint was founded by Charles the Bald, one of Charlemagne's successors, who decreed with the Edict of Pistres in 864, creating a coining workshop attached to the French crown. This decree made the facility in Paris the main operation, although there was also a network of provincial mints.
Charles the Bald used the reorganization of minting in France after the Treaty of Verdun in 843 to re-establish his country's territorial unity.
Since 1796 the Paris Mint has been attached to the French Ministry of the economy as a government-owned institution.
Today the mint has two facilities – one in Paris and one in Pessac – which produce all of France's circulating, bullion, and numismatic coinage, as well as medals on demand for various customers, coins for other countries. The mint also maintains a large coinage museum.
In 1958 it was determined that the facility in Paris could not keep up with the nation's growing coin needs, so a new facility was built at Pessac in Gironde, which opened in September 1973.
Although all stages of the industrial process were initially carried out at the Pessac site, it now handles just the cutting and burnishing of the planchets and the core activities of the minter's trade: engraving, coining, and packaging.
Today, Pessac still makes the euro coins used in France, as well as coins for other countries in the eurozone, such as Malta, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Monaco, Andorra, and many others outside the eurozone.