Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2020 Great Britain £2 1-oz Silver Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer Proof NGC PF70UC First Releases
The White Lion is the Latest Release in the Popular Queen’s Beasts Series
When Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II received her crown on June 2, 1953, ten symbolic creatures, each representing a part of her centuries-long royal lineage, stood guard outside the coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey. One of those six-foot-tall sculptures standing in silent deference was the White Lion of Mortimer, a fearsome creature that is also the latest release in The Royal Mint’s Queen’s Beasts series.
The seventh coin in the popular series, this White Lion of Mortimer Proof bears a legal-tender denomination of £2 (two pounds) and is struck in a full ounce of highly pure 99.9% fine silver. Expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields, the symbolic coin depicts the creature standing on its hind legs behind a shield that displays a white rose encircled by a golden sun. known as a white rose en soleil, this is really a combination of two distinct badges – badges that appear on the Great Seals of both Edward IV and Richard III. It was also used by the future George VI, The Queen’s father, when he was known as Prince Albert the Duke of York. Unlike the Lion of England, the Mortimer lion has no crown and is often depicted with a blue tongue.
Your 2020 Great Britain One-Ounce Silver Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, NGC has certified your White Lion of Mortimer Proof to be a First Releases (FR) coin, a designation that means your coin was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within the first 30 days of its release. Collectors seek out these coins because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later.
The origins of the White Lion date back to Anne de Mortimer and England’s War of the Roses. All English royalty since the 16th century can trace their lineage back to Anne. Her grandson, Edward IV, inherited the symbol from Anne, and proved to be a brilliant tactician and more-than-able politician. Edward was also a popular king of the York dynasty and, in fact, many historians believe the House of York would have defeated the House of Lancaster in the War of the Roses if Edward hadn’t died when he was just 40, leaving the throne to his 12-year-old son, Edward V. The young king was soon banished to the Tower of London by Edward’s conniving brother – Old Crookback himself, Richard III – and was never seen again.
Today, the white lion of Mortimer is prevalent all across Great Britain and can be seen as the emblem and name for many English pubs, hotels, lanes and even shopping centers! This wonderful coin and its exciting designs are breathtaking – it’s no wonder each entry of the Queen’s Beasts series has proven incredibly popular. Between the expected demand by both coin collectors and silver stackers, we don’t expect the low worldwide limited mintage of just 4,360 to last long. Don’t miss out; reserve this magnificent proof coin for your collection today!
- LATEST RELEASE IN QUEEN’S BEASTS SERIES – The White Lion of Mortimer coin is the seventh release in The Royal Mint’s Queen’s Beasts series. This fierce creature guards a shield displaying a white rose encircled by a golden sun. Unlike the Lion of England, the Mortimer lion has no crown. The coin’s obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each of these Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer coins are struck in one ounce of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measure 38.61 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER – These 2020 Great Britain One-Ounce Silver Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer Proof are £2 (2 pounds) legal tender in the United Kingdom.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020 Great Britain One-Ounce Silver Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified your White Lion of Mortimer Proof to be a First Releases (FR) coin, a designation that means your coin was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within the first 30 days of its release.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The maximum worldwide limited edition for the 2020 Great Britain One-Ounce Silver Queen’s Beasts White Lion of Mortimer Proof has been set at only 4,360. Each will come in its original government packaging.
The White Lion of Mortimer approaches! It’s the first Queen’s Beast coin of 2020, and you can reserve yours now by simply clicking it to your cart!
|Year of Issue||2020|
|Mint Name||The Royal Mint, Tower Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.21 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|