Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1914 Great Britain Gold Half Sovereign Uncirulated
Found! An Amazing Hoard of 100-Year-Old Gold Half Sovereigns!
Recently a fantastic treasure trove of gold coins was discovered in Northern England. The hoard consisted of 250 British Gold Half Sovereigns, each dated 1914 – the same year World War I began! More remarkable than their age, however, is their beauty. Each looks as though it could have been struck yesterday. In fact, each has been graded as being in Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition!
Clearly, whoever buried the coins didn’t trust the banks and wanted a quick way to get out of the country. Unfortunately, they never got to their gold, and so it was left buried and untouched for over 100 years! The owner of these coins made an excellent choice though – struck in 90% pure gold, Sovereigns were also given to combat pilots as a way to buy their way home if they went down over enemy lines.
These coins feature the classic design of Saint George slaying the dragon the reverse as originally created by Benedetto Pistrucci for the 1817 Gold Sovereign. King George V is depicted on the obverse. Hoard like these are always exciting, but the age, condition and quality of these coins is breathtaking! Secure an historic piece of WWI history from the exciting North of England Hoard of 1914 British Gold Half Sovereigns!
- FORM A RECENTLY DISCOVERED HOARD – The coins available in this offer all come from a hoard that was recently discovered in northern England. All the coins were dated 1914 – the same year World War I began.
- CLASSIC SOVEREIGN DESIGN – These coins feature the classic design of Saint George slaying the dragon the reverse as originally created by Benedetto Pistrucci for the 1817 Gold Sovereign. King George V is depicted on the obverse.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE GOLD – Each Half Sovereign was struck in 3.99 grams of highly pure 90% fine gold and measures 19.3 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER – These coins have a legal tender denomination of a Half Sovereign, which is equal to a half pound sterling. Originally a circulating coin, the gold sovereign and its fractional denominations have been struck since 1817. Today they are struck only as bullion coins.
- AMAZING BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 1914 Great Britain Gold Half Sovereign will come in amazing Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition – amazing due to its age and intended use as a circulating coin that was struck during the first year of World War I.
Grab your piece of the North of England Hoard with this 1914-dated British Gold Half Sovereign in Brilliant Uncirculated condition. Don’t miss the chance to secure a coin form this amazing discovery; click one to your cart right now!
|Year of Issue||1914|
|Coin Weight||3.99 Grams - g|