Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Niue $8 5-oz Silver Lunar Pig Proof w/Gold Plating
Celebrate the Year of the Pig with this Big Silver Coin
Notwithstanding author Ogden Nash’s description of pigs as being stupid for providing us with sausage, ham and bacon; the popular porcine critters have wiggled their way into the hearts people all over the world. Nowhere is this truer than in the Far East where the pig is one of the 12 Zodiac animals in the Chinese Lunar Calendar. In fact, according to Chinese folklore, those born during the Year of the Pig are said to be honest, easy-going, trusting, sincere and brave.
To celebrate the Year of the Pig, Niue has released a spectacular one-year-only limited-edition coin that paints a picture of the pig that exalts this familiar barnyard animal in epic fashion. Struck in five full ounces of highly pure 99.9% silver, this large coin measures 65 mm in diameter and shows a mother sow that can only be described as proud. She’s artfully depicted with her head held high holding court over her brood of piglets.
To emphasize her importance, she has been plated in gleaming 24-karat gold. Just above her the inscription reads YEAR OF THE PIG along with the Chinese character for “pig,” which has also been plated in gold. The entire design is made even more magnificent thanks to a proof finish that was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
When you get your hands on this coin, make sure you examine the edge. There you’ll find that it has been individually edge-numbered to match the numbered Certificate of Authenticity that will accompany your coin. Plus, each coin comes in a beautiful wooden display box. What’s more, the worldwide limited edition for this proof coin has been set at just 500 coins – a number far too few for everyone who would like to own this delightful coin. Don’t miss out; add this commemorative proof to your collection while you still can!
- LATEST RELEASE IN NIUE’S CHINESE LUNAR SERIES – The 2019 Niue Silver Lunar Pig is the latest release in Niue’s series of five-ounce silver Chinese Lunar coins. The coin’s obverse features a mother sow plated in 24-karat gold surrounded by her piglets. The Chinese character for “pig” has also been plated in 24-karat gold. The obverse features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II along with the country of issue, year, denomination, and silver purity.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each Silver Lunar Pig Coin was struck in five ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measures 65 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINAGE – These Silver Lunar Pig Coins are $8 legal tender in Niue, an island country in the South Pacific. Niueans are citizens of New Zealand and Great Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Niue Five-Ounce Silver Lunar Pig Coin comes in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it features beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- EXTREMELY LOW LIMITED EDITION – The worldwide limited edition for this proof coin has been set at only 500.
There’s still time to celebrate 2019 being the Year of the Pig with this limited-edition 2019 Five-Ounce Silver Lunar Pig Proof from Niue! Order yours now!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Coin Weight||155.5 Grams - g|
|Weight||5 Ounces - oz|