Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Tuvalu $2 2-oz Silver Abacus Antiqued Coin NGC MS69 First Releases w/Pacific Label
Sold Out at the Mint
From Basic Addition to Thermodynamics and Aerospace
Mathematics are one of the foundational pillars of human society. Through math, we can do everything from count our fingers to launch massive metal machines into space, walk on the moon, and return safely. Nowadays we take large calculations for granted thanks to having computers, calculators, and smartphones capable of solving complex equations in seconds. But just a few hundred years ago those things simply didn’t exist. Go back a few thousand years and math was still in its infancy. It was difficult to really do any equations let alone complex problems necessary to push society forward.
Enter the abacus, a tool that many people know about today, but few understand. The abacus seems simple enough compared to what we have at our disposal now, but through its design, math, science, and commerce all grew. Now, more than 2,000 years after its creation, the abacus returns on this ingenious coin that features an actual abacus set into the center of the coin complete with moving beads and plated in 24-karat gold! Struck in two full ounces of 99.99% fine silver by Australia’s prestigious Perth Mint on behalf of the island nation of Tuvalu, this legal-tender coin not only pays tribute to this early calculator, but it also celebrates how it helped advance trade and cultural exchange between East and West.
One of the greatest contributions the abacus made to history was its use along the famous Silk Road, a 64,000-kilometer-long (9,768 miles) series of trade routes that connected China to the Middle East and Europe. Through the Silk Road, the Renaissance period occurred and pulled Europe out of the Dark Ages and into a world of enlightenment. Merchants came to depend on the useful calculating tool as they took stock of inventory and negotiated deals with shrewd traders. The coin’s reverse depicts some of the most notable items traded on the Silk Road such as spices, fragrances, and of course, silk. With an antique finish, this coin can be handled without fear of damage so you can appreciate all of its fine details up close!
In addition, your 2019 Tuvalu Two-Ounce Silver Abacus Coin has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in near-perfect Mint Staate-69 (MS69) condition, a distinction that means your almost-flawless coin will showcase an impressive full strike and indistinguishable imperfections – well above and beyond the quality of the vast majority of coins in the series. What’s more, NGC has certified that your coin is a First Releases (FR) coin, a designation that means it was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within the first 30 days of its release. It will come sealed in an acrylic holder with an exclusive South Pacific label.
With a maximum worldwide mintage of just 2,500 pieces already announced as a complete sell-out nat the mint, you can’t count on these 2019 Tuvalu Two-Ounce Silver Abacus Antiqued Coins being available for long. Add one to your cart today!
- SUPPORTING HUMAN INGENUITY – Featuring an abacus inset, this coin pats tribute to the invention of the addition tool. The coin’s reverse depicts images from the famous Silk Road while the obverse features portrait of Queen Elizabeth II and a pattern of abacus counting beads encompassing the insert.
- A LOT OF SILVER – Each 2019 Tuvalu Silver Abacus Coin was struck by Australia’s Perth Mint in two full ounces of 99.99% fine silver.
- LEGAL TENDER – These 2019 Tuvalu Two-Ounce Silver Abacus Coins are $2 legal tender in Tuvalu, an island nation in the South Pacific Ocean.
- ANTIQUE FINISH – This coin has been individually “antiqued” to give it a unique finish conveying the surface abrasions of an ancient artefact. As a result of this treatment, the appearance of each coin varies so that no two coins are exactly alike.
- GRADED IN NEAR-PERFECT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2019 Tuvalu Two-Ounce Silver Abacus Coin has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in nearly flawless Mint Staate-69 (MS69) condition.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified that your coin is a First Releases (FR) coin. It will also come sealed in an acrylic holder with an exclusive South Pacific label.
- LIMITED MINTAGE – The maximum worldwide edition limit for the 2019 Tuvalu Two-Ounce Silver Abacus Antiqued Coin has been set at only 2,500, and they are completely sold out at the mint.
The abacus is a fundamental piece of humanity’s development and the history it holds is rich and long. GovMint is the place to pick up one of these amazing coins!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Perth Mint|
|Coin Weight||62.213 Grams - g|
|Weight||2 Ounces - oz|