Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 South Africa 1-oz Gold Big 5 Elephant NGC Gem Proof First Day of Issue w/Black Core & Tumi Signature
South Africa’s New Big 5 Program Makes a Grand Entrance
Some of the world’s most dangerous wild animals live in Africa. Not long ago the highest mark a sportsman could attain was being able to hunt down “The Big Five” animals on the continent – the Elephant, Lion, Black Rhinoceros, Leopard and Cape Buffalo. Each animal was quite capable of killing humans, and they often did – even the herbivores! Now you can hunt down these animals without ever leaving the comfort of your easy chair thanks to the South African Mint’s release of a new series of coins dedicated to these animals.
Leading off as the inaugural coin in the series is this magnificent Elephant struck in one Troy ounce of highly-pure 99.99% gold by the prestigious South African Mint – the same mint that brings us the iconic gold and silver Krugerrands. It’s also the same mint responsible for the immensely popular Natura series that began in the 1990s and featured the same Big 5 animals. The obverse of this legal-tender 50-Rand coin depicts a full-bodied image of an elephant. The reverse features a unique bisected image of an elephant’s profile. When multiple coins are placed side by side it creates a complete close-up portrait of an elephant. If you dare, put on some thin white gloves and trace your fingers across the rugged design… it almost feels like you’re caressing the torso of a real elephant!
Each 2019 South Africa One-Ounce Gold Big 5 Elephant available in this offer has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in gorgeous Gem Proof condition, meaning they were expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. In addition, NGC has certified these Gold Big 5 Elephants to be First Day of Issue (FDI) coins, meaning they were received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository by the release date or on the business day within 24 hours of the official release date. Plus, each comes sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a black display core and encapsulated with an exclusive Big 5 label that was personally hand-signed by Tumi Tsehlo, Managing Director of the South African Mint!
With a limited edition of just 600 proof coins, there are not nearly enough available for everyone who would like one. In fact, these coins have already been announced as being completely sold out at the mint! A century ago people like Teddy Roosevelt would have donned a pith helmet and tracked down these animals as prizes for their trophy rooms. Today, people go on safaris in hopes of simply catching a glimpse of these often-endangered animals. Avoid the heat, claws, tusks and horns; you can bag one of these coins simply by clicking it your cart!
- FIRST COIN IN SOUTH AFRICA’S NEW BIG FIVE SERIES – This coin is the first release in the South African Mint’s new series of coins dedicated to “The Big Five” animals of Africa – the Elephant, Lion, Black Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo – displaying unique portraits of these exotic creatures.
- INNOVATIVE EYE-CATCHING DESIGN – The obverse of this coin depicts a full-bodied image of an elephant. The reverse features a unique bisected image of an elephant’s profile. When multiple coins are placed side by side it creates a complete close-up portrait of an elephant.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE GOLD – Each Big 5 Elephant coin has been struck by the South African Mint in one ounce of highly-pure 99.99% gold.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINS – These South Africa One-Ounce Gold Big 5 Elephant coins are 50 Rand legal tender in South Africa.
- GRADED IN GEM PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 South Africa One-Ounce Gold Big 5 Elephant has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in gorgeous Gem Proof condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF ISSUE CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified your Gold Big 5 Elephant to be a First Day of Issue (FDI) coin. It will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with a black display core and encapsulated with an exclusive Big 5 label.
- INCLUDES KEY MINT OFFICIAL’S SIGNATURE – The label encapsulated with your 2019 South Africa One-Ounce Gold Big 5 Elephant also includes the hand-signed autograph of Tumi Tsehlo, Managing Director of the South African Mint.
- LOW WORLDWIDE LIMITED-EDITION RELEASE – The worldwide edition limit for this release has been set at just 600 – and it’s already been announced as a total sell-out at the mint.
Hurry; bag your 2019 South Africa One-Ounce Gold Big 5 Elephant Proof now before these coins escape into the hands of other collectors!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Pedigree||First Day Of Issue|
|Mint Name||South Africa Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.107 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|