The Morgan That Might Have Been
George T. Morgan designed arguably, the most famous circulating silver coin in the world: the Morgan Silver Dollar. But within the Smithsonian® archives there exists a historic 1878 Gold Pattern Coin that was struck by the United States Mint to see what a version of Morgan’s design would look like as a $10 Gold Eagle. Known today as Judd-1582, that pattern coin now resides in the nation’s National Numismatic Collection as a treasure that can be seen, but never touched – until now!
That’s because in 2020, the Smithsonian® authorized the limited-edition striking of gold and silver proofs that, for the first time ever, recreate Morgan’s $10 Gold Eagle as Ultra High Relief Piedfort Reverse Proofs. These proofs offer a truly fascinating glimpse into “What could have been.” Just think about it: if this gold pattern had been given the stamp of approval from Congress it’s likely that a different design would have graced the silver dollar of 1878 and collectors today would refer to a Morgan Gold Eagle instead of the Morgan Silver Dollar!
In this offer you can secure the two-ounce silver version struck in highly pure 99.9% fine silver. Added for this release are the dual dates of 1878 and 2020 on the obverse and the word “EAGLE” on the reverse rather than the original’s legal-tender denomination.
What will really blow you away about this release is the Ultra High Relief detail. The designs literally tower above the surface of the double-thick Piedfort proof and seem to grow even taller as you rotate the piece in your hand. Making the design even more breathtaking is the unique Reverse Proof Finish. The opposite of a regular proof that features frosted details rising over mirror-like fields, a Reverse Proof displays mirror-like details rising over beautifully frosted fields.
In fact, each 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver Morgan’s Gold Eagle Ultra High Relief Piedfort Reverse Proof available here has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition. Such a distinction means that these perfectly-graded proofs will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
This worldwide release is exclusive to GovMint and its marketing partners, but while we have the entire mintage, just 2,500 of these awesome proofs will ever be struck. That means you must act quickly if you want to add one to your collection. Reserve one to your cart today!
- TRIBUTE TO A COIN THAT NEVER WAS – This proof pays tribute to a Gold Eagle Pattern coin struck by the United States Mint in 1878. It features fantastic Ultra High Relief on both sides with Lady Liberty on the obverse and an American Eagle on the reverse.
- LEGACY OF GEORGE T. MORGAN – Now known as Judd-1582, the original pattern coin was designed by then-U.S. Mint Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan, the designer of the famous Morgan Silver Dollar.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – Each Silver Morgan’s Gold Eagle Ultra High Relief Proof was struck as a double-thick Piedfort in two ounces of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measures 38 mm in diameter.
- UNIQUE REVERSE PROOF FINISH – Your Silver Morgan’s Gold Eagle Ultra High Relief Piedfort Proof features a unique Reverse Proof finish that displays mirrored details rising over frosted fields.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2020 Smithsonian Two-Ounce Silver Morgan’s Gold Eagle Ultra High Relief Piedfort Reverse Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- APPROVED BY THE SMITHSONIAN – This proof recreating Morgan’s famous 1878 Gold Eagle design is officially approved by the Smithsonian® and includes the dual dates of 1878 and 2020 on the obverse and the word “EAGLE” on the reverse rather than the original’s legal-tender denomination.
- VERY LOW LIMITED EDITION – The maximum worldwide limited edition for this amazing proof has been set at just 2,500.
For the first time ever, George Morgan’s 1878 pattern design for the $10 Gold Eagle has been struck as a two-ounce Piedfort Reverse Proof in 99.9% silver. Order yours now before they’re all gone!