Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 5-oz Silver America the Beautiful – San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Specimen PCGS SP70 First Strike Mercanti Signed
Texas America the Beautiful Quarter Pays Tribute to Spanish Colonial Missions
Almost everyone has heard about the Alamo, the famous Spanish mission in San Antonio, Texas that was converted into a fortress to fight off a Mexican Army. It’s since become the iconic symbol of Texas independence and a historic landmark visited by thousands of tourists every year. But did you know the Alamo is just one of five missions in San Antonio? The other four missions may not have the name recognition of the Alamo but are just as important to the rich legacy of Texas and its unique blend of cultures.
Today, those four missions are part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and were authorized as a National Historical Park in 1978. They also are the theme of the U.S. Mint’s latest release in its America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. Struck as a massive legal-tender quarter in five ounces of 99.9% silver, the 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park coin is the fourth issue of 2019 and the 49th overall in the series.
The San Antonio Missions were one of the largest concentrations of Spanish missions ever established in North America. These walled and fortified outposts were founded in the 17th century by Catholic missionaries to spread Christianity among the local population. Using the San Antonio River for irrigation and ranching, the missions not only spread Christianity, but taught the local population important skills like toolmaking, carpentry, looming, spinning and masonry and helped develop a self-sufficient community. While beautiful historic sites, the missions remain actively involved in their original purpose: The Archdiocese of San Antonio still owns portions of the four missions and continues to operate them as active parishes!
The America the Beautiful series has proven extremely popular since it began back in 2010. For those who have been collecting from the start, each release has provided a new and exciting way to discover and appreciate all that America has to offer. And the best way to collect these designs is as a whopping five-ounce, 99.9% silver coin! Measuring an incredible 76.2 mm in diameter, it’s nearly twice the size of an American Silver Eagle!
In addition, your coin has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in Specimen-70 (SP70) condition, a distinction that means your almost-flawless coin will showcase an impressive full strike and indistinguishable imperfections – well above and beyond the quality of the vast majority of coins in the series. Plus, PCGS has also certified that this five-ounce silver America the beautiful Quarter is a First Strike (FS) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue.
- And to make the coins available in this offer even more special, each will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder along with an exclusive label that has been personally signed by John M. Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint! The designer of more than 100 American coins and medals, Mercanti is the most famous U.S. coin engraver of the modern era.
The San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in San Antonio, Texas is a perfect example of a coin that presents collectors with a scene of America’s history that would likely be overlooked otherwise. The coin depicts four quadrants symbolizing important functions of the Spanish missions: wheat for farming, arches & bell for community, a lion for Spanish culture, and the currents of the San Antonio River for irrigation. The quadrants are divided by a cross in a nod to the design of a vintage Spanish Colonial Real, often referred to as America’s First Silver Dollar.
The 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Five Ounce Silver Specimen release is one of five America the Beautiful Coins that will be issued this year meaning it will be available only for so long. Add it to your collection before it’s too late!
- THE LATEST IN THE “AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL” SERIES – This 2019 Five Ounce San Antonio Missions National Historical Park coin is the fourth issue of 2019 and the 49th overall in the America the Beautiful series, which began in 2010.
- STUNNING SYMBOLIC IMAGERY – The design depicts four quadrants symbolizing important functions of the Spanish missions: wheat for farming, arches & bell for community, a lion for Spanish culture, and the currents of the San Antonio River for irrigation. It also displays the words “SAN ANTONIO MISSIONS,” “TEXAS,” “2019” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
- A SERIES OF FIRSTS – Each coin in the America the Beautiful series was struck at the Philadelphia Mint from 99.9% fine silver. These are the largest ever quarter coins struck, measuring three inches in diameter.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – These America the Beautiful coins have been struck in five ounces of 99.9% silver.
- UNITED STATES LEGAL TENDER – Each America the Beautiful coin is twenty-five cents legal tender in the United States.
- PERFECT UNCIRCULATED/SPECIMEN FINISH – Your coin has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in Specimen-70 (SP70) condition.
- KEY FIRST STRIKE CERTIFICATION – PCGS has certified that this five-ounce silver America the beautiful Quarter is a First Strike (FS) coin.
- SIGNED BY A LEGEND – Your coin will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder along with a label that has been personally signed by John Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – Just 20,000 of these 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Five-Ounce Silver America the Beautiful coins will be issued.
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P|
|Coin Weight||155.3 Grams - g|
|Weight||5 Ounces - oz|