Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 Switzerland 20 Francs 20-gm Silver Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof
Set Sail for Moon Exploration with this Apollo 11 Commemorative Coin
History was made 50 years ago when American Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to set foot on the moon. But today, people forget that even before the American Flag was hoisted on the moon’s surface, the astronauts erected a Swiss Solar Sail to verify the existence of the solar wind. The only non-American piece of equipment on board the mission, the test was so successful that it was repeated four more times on subsequent NASA moon landings.
To pay tribute to this triumph of science, Switzerland has issued a wonderful commemorative coin that shows the moment when Buzz Aldrin set up the Swiss Solar Sail. The design shows Aldrin erecting the 140 x 30 cm aluminum foil banner that was used to track solar winds that could not be measured from Earth. To Aldrin’s right is the lunar lander Eagle and above is a stylized “50” logo with the words ANS, ANNI and JAHRE – French, Italian and German for “Years.” The coin is also dual dated 1969 & 2019 and features Swiss Mint designer Remo Mascherini’s last name engraved just to the left of the solar sail. The coin’s obverse features the 20 Swiss Francs denomination and the Latin name of the Swiss Confederation – CONFOEDERATIO HELVETICA.
Apollo 11’s use of the Swiss Solar Sail was a huge success story for the University of Bern and Switzerland. The foil was exposed to the Sun for 77 minutes, allowing solar wind particles to become embed in the material. The foil returned with the astronauts to Earth for laboratory analysis. The sail was developed under the leadership of Professor Johannes Geiss, who at that time was the Director of the Physics Institute of the University of Bern. To this day, these readings are still the best measurement tools for understanding the composition of the solar wind.
Just 5,000 of these special, one-year-only silver proof coins were issued, and each one available in this offer comes in gorgeous Gem Proof condition, meaning they were expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. Each vividly captures one of the most historic and important experiments ever performed on the moon – and it’s sure to capture the heart of any avid fan of science and space travel or collectors of beautifully struck coinage. Click one to your cart and set sail on your own moon exploration!
- COMMEMORATING THE SWISS CONTRIBUTION TO APOLLO 11 – This coin pays tribute to the Swiss Solar Sail – the only non-American piece of equipment on board the Apollo 11 mission. It shows Astronaut Buzz Aldrin setting up the Solar Sail on the reverse. The coin’s obverse features the denomination and the Latin name of the Swiss Confederation – CONFOEDERATIO HELVETICA.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING SILVER – Each 2019 Switzerland Silver Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Coin was struck in 20 grams of 83.5% silver.
- SWISS LEGAL TENDER – These 2019 Switzerland Silver Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Coins are 20 Francs legal tender in Switzerland.
- GORGEOUS GEM PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Switzerland 20 Francs Silver Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Coin will come in gorgeous Gem Proof condition.
- LOW EDITION LIMIT – The edition limit for this coin has been set at just 5,000 and each will come in its original government packaging.
Commemorate the historic 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing with this Swiss coin that celebrates the only Non-American on the mission! Order yours today!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint Name||Swiss Mint|
|Coin Weight||20 Grams - g|