After 400 Years, the Laurel Makes Its Triumphant Return
In the world of British coinage there is a tradition that dates back centuries: the portrait of the reigning monarch on circulating coinage face the opposite direction of the prior ruler. But in 1619, James I bucked that tradition with the introduction of the Laurel, which depicted him wearing a wreath upon his brow as he gazed in the opposite direction from previous coins bearing his image. Now, on the 400th anniversary of the original, the Laurel returns on a spectacular Half-Ounce Gold Laurel.
Like the original coins of James I, this modern Laurel depicts Queen Elizabeth II facing the opposite direction from her previous coins – a first for Great Britain’s popular reigning monarch, and a change made only for this particular release! Like King James I, Queen Elizabeth II wears the leafy laurel crown. The reverse design depicts a long cross over the Shield of the Royal Arms representing England, Scotland and Ireland.
Showing two sides of the monarch’s face was a brilliant idea for James I, who issued his laurel coins during a time when he was solidifying his power over the British Isles. Prior to becoming James I of England and Ireland, he was King James VI of Scotland. The son of Mary Queen of Scots, James I succeeded England’s Queen Elizabeth I. During his reign, the kingdoms of Scotland and England were individual sovereign states both ruled by James in personal union, so, in a sense, he really was a king with two faces!
For this special anniversary release, the Laurel denomination has been resurrected in 99.99% pure gold. This Half Laurel coin is official legal tender in Tristan da Cunha, an island nation in the south Atlantic Ocean located midway between South America and Africa.
In addition, your 2019 Tristan da Cunha Gold Half Laurel has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded proof will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. Also, NGC has graded your gold Laurel to be a First Releases (FR) coin, a designation that means your proof was received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within the first 30 days of its release.
This Gold Half Laurel is a world-exclusive release. While the maximum worldwide limited edition for these coins is 2,019, only a limited number of coins have been certified by NGC as being in flawless PF70UC First Releases condition – and they are available exclusively through GovMint.com! Order yours now!
- HISTORIC FIRST-EVER DESIGN – The design on these coins features Queen Elizabeth II facing the opposite direction from all previous coins – a first for the Great Britain’s reigning monarch and struck on the 400th anniversary of the first Laurel coin struck by King James I in 1619. The reverse depicts a long cross over the Shield of the Royal Arms.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE GOLD – This Gold laurel was struck in a half-ounce of 99.99% pure gold.
- LEGAL-TENDER COIN – These coins are a Half Laurel legal-tender in Tristan da Cunha, an island nation located in the south Atlantic Ocean.
- GRADED IN PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 Tristan da Cunha Half-Ounce Gold Half Laurel Proof has been graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – NGC has graded your 2019 Tristan da Cunha Half-Ounce Gold Half Laurel Proof to be a First Releases (FR) coin.
- EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION – The maximum worldwide limited edition for this coin is 2,019. Of that mintage, only a limited number of proofs have been certified by NGC as being in flawless PF70UC First Releases condition – and they are available exclusively through GovMint.com.
Crown your collection with the 2019 Tristan da Cunha Half-Ounce Gold Half Laurel Proof. These historic coins will not last for long – especially these ones certified and graded by NGC as being in flawless PF70UC First Releases condition. Don’t wait; click it to your cart right now!