Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 British Virgin Islands $1 8-gm Virenium® Andean Flamingo Proof
The Pale Pink-Colored Andean Flamingo Highlights Pobjoy’s Latest Flamingo Coin
Not only is the Andean flamingo one of the rarest flamingos in the world, it’s also the only member of this elegant bird species that has yellow legs and three-toed webbed feet. Named for its natural habitat, the Andean flamingo lives in the wetlands of the high Andes Mountain range stretching across Peru, Argentina and Chile. To pay tribute to this beautiful creature, the British Pobjoy Mint is highlighting the Andean Flamingo in blazing color on the fifth coin of its series that showcases flamingos from around the world.
Featuring a momma bird with its chick in the wetlands of South America’s Andes Mountains, the birds are expertly depicted in various shades of pale pink and yellow to create an image that perfectly reflects the beauty of this exotic species. The bright, brilliant colors are even more dazzling set against the exquisite light gold, brassy color of the coin. The color comes from the metal used to strike the coin, Virenium®, a proprietary metal specially developed by Pobjoy Mint that is light gold in color.
Habitat loss, changes in water levels due to mining activities, intense egg collecting, disturbances by humans, and erosion at nest sites have all contributed to a declining population for this beautiful bird. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List, only about 39,000 of these birds remain in the wild, where they are classified as a vulnerable species.
Released on behalf of the British Virgin Islands, this lovely coin comes in gorgeous Proof condition, meaning it was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields. Pobjoy is limiting the mintage to just 3,500 colorized proofs. Start or add to your collection today. Order one now!
- FIFTH RELEASE IN FLAMINGO SERIES – These Andean Flamingo coins are the fifth release in a series of coins that pay tribute to the elegant and exotic beauty of the world’s flamingo birds. The design features a momma bird with its chick in a wetlands area of the Andes Mountains in South America. To add to the coin’s beauty, the flamingos are depicted in deep, rich color. The coin’s obverse features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN VIRENIUM – Each 2019 British Virgin Islands Andean Flamingo Proof was struck in 8 grams of Virenium®, a metal developed by Pobjoy Mint that is light gold in color.
- LEGAL TENDER COINS – These Andean Flamingo Virenium Proofs are $1 legal tender in the British Virgin Islands.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 British Virgin Islands Andean Flamingo Virenium Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The worldwide limited edition for this proof coin has been set at only 3,500.
Don’t miss your chance to secure this spectacular, limited-edition, legal-tender Andean Flamingo coin from the prestigious Pobjoy Mint. Order yours today!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Country||British Virgin Islands|
|Mint Name||Pobjoy Mint|
|Coin Weight||8 Grams - g|