Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1809-1836 50 Cents Silver Capped Bust Fine
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $149.00 $144.60
One of the Most Popular Silver Coins from the Early 1800s
For Americans paying for goods and services in the early 1800s, the coin of choice was more than likely these silver half dollars. After all, during that time the last silver dollar coined by the U.S. Mint was released in 1804 and another silver dollar wouldn’t be struck again until 1836, making these the largest U.S. silver coins struck for circulation over a span of three decades!
Known as the “Capped Bust” silver half-dollar, these coins feature a portrait of Miss Liberty wearing a small Phrygian cap inscribed with the word LIBERTY. The coin’s reverse features a shield-chested eagle with its wings spread, holding an olive branch and a bundle of arrows. Designed by German immigrant John Reich, the capped-head design of Lady Liberty proved to be so popular that it was used on four different coin denominations. Besides being used on the half dollar from 1807-1839, it was the design for the quarter from 1815-1838, the dime from 1809-1837, and the half-dime from 1829-1837.
Born as Johann Matthias Reich, the young assistant engraver was recommended by President Thomas Jefferson and served as an engraver at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia from 1807 to 1817. One of Reich’s lasting legacies is that he was the first designer at the mint to consistently include the coin denomination in his designs.
This beauty is a real classic U.S. type coin that comes in an eye-appealing Fine collectible grade. Each was struck in 89.24% silver and shows lots of nice detail. The coins available in the offer were struck between 1809 and 1836. Dates vary.
- CLASSIC AMERICAN COIN – Featuring a portrait of Miss Liberty wearing a small Phrygian cap, the design was so popular that it was used on four different coin denominations – the half dollar, quarter, dime, and half-dime.
- STRUCK IN FINE SILVER – Each Capped Bust Half Dollar was struck in 89.24% fine silver.
- UNITED STATE LEGAL TENDER – These Capped Bust Silver Half Dollars were 50 cents legal tender in the United States.
- APPEALING COLLECTOR GRADE – Your Capped Bust Silver Half Dollar comes in Fine condition with lots of nice detail.
The Caped Bust Half Dollar from the early 1800s was one of America’s most popular silver coins for more than 30 years. Add a piece of history to your collection and secure yours now.
|Mint Name||Philadelphia - P|
|Coin Weight||13.48 Grams - g|