Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1928 Silver Dollar Certificate Funnyback VF
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $49.95 $48.48
The “Funny” Story Behind America’s First-Year Small-Size Silver Certificate
Prior to 1928, the United States issued large-sized $1 Silver Certificates. But in the year before the Great Depression struck, the U.S. Treasury Department decided that it could cut costs and speed up transactions by reducing the size of its currency. This release we’re offering is one of those notes, a note that, at first glance, should look incredibly familiar. But look below the portrait of George Washington and you’ll see the words “One Silver Dollar.” That’s because this note could be traded in for a Morgan or Peace Silver Dollar!
This first-year small-sized $1 Silver Certificate also has an interesting nickname – the “Funnyback” note. That’s because the light green border and large, green ornamental “ONE” on the back doesn’t match the contemporary black-and-white face. In fact, according to critics, the back looked almost like children’s play money. What also makes it so unique is that the note was issued for less than a year from April 1928 to January 1929. At more than 80 years old, these notes are becoming increasingly scarce today. Look elsewhere and you’ll find this note in the same Very Fine (VF) condition for as much as $85. Order now!
- FIRST SMALL-SIZE SILVER CERTIFICATE – The 1928 $1 Silver Certificate was the first small-sized certificate issued by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- SHORT-LIVED “FUNNYBACK” NOTE – Issued for less than a year from April 1928 to January 1929, this note was nicknamed the “Funnyback” note because the back of the note looked like play money.
- LEGAL TENDER CURRENCY – These notes were one dollar legal tender and could be exchanged for a Morgan or Peace Silver Dollar.
- BEAUTIFUL VERY GOOD CONDITION – Your 1928 “Funnyback” $1 Silver Certificate will come in Very Fine (VF) condition meaning it was only lightly circulated – a remarkable condition consider it is 80 years old!
The first and only type of silver certificate issued in 1928, the 1928 “Funnyback” $1 Silver Certificate holds a special place in the annals of American history and the hearts of paper currency collectors everywhere. Add one to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||1928|