Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1945-S 10 Cent Mercury Dime Micro "S" VG
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $9.95 $9.66
Classic American Mercury Dime die variety -- in 90% Pure Silver!
Numismatists with years of experience and those just learning about coin collecting all share a love for the Winged Liberty Head, or “Mercury” dime. This classic American coin series circulated from 1916 until 1945. The series was designed by Adolph A. Weinman who also designed the Walking Liberty Half Dollar that was introduced the same year. The obverse features the portrait of Lady Liberty wearing a winged Phrygian, or “Liberty” Cap. The wings are meant to symbolize Freedom of Thought. It is because of this winged cap that Liberty was confused with the Roman Messenger God, Mercury. The reverse features a fasces, which is a bound bundle of rods with an axe head meant to symbolize strength and unity. The axe is surrounded by an olive branch which symbolizes peace. It is at the base of the axe that the “micro S” mint mark appears.
- Beautiful Adolph A. Weinman Design – Depicting Liberty and Freedom of Thought
- Business strike 90% silver coin -- an iconic American issue.
- Popular die variety in a popular series – excellent way to add variety and interest to your classic US coinage collection or Mercury Dime typeset.
- Struck at the San Francisco Mint—using tiny mint marks created for Philippines coinage back in 1907.
- Final Year of the series – excellent way to end your Mercury dime collection, with a coveted die variety!
The origin of the “Micro S” was really an exercise in thriftiness by mint employees. In 1907 the United States was making coinage for the Philippines at the San Francisco branch of the Mint. These smaller mint marks were left over from this production 37 years prior. They were used in the production of this classic final year of issue die variety that was first discovered by skilled Numismatists in 1947. Don’t wait, order your highly collectible Mercury Dime Micro S die variety example today!
|Year of Issue||1945|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||2.5 Grams - g|
|Weight||2.5 Grams - g|