Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1968 Vietnam War-Era Tribute 5-Piece Coin Set with MPC Currency Note
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $49.95 $48.48
Coin and Currency Set Pays Tribute to Vietnam War’s Pivotal Year
This set takes you back to 1968 – a year that became a major turning point of the Vietnam War due to the full-scale assault by the North Vietnamese forces known as the Tet Offensive.
In this collection, you’ll take home each circulating denomination of pocket change used back at home – the one-cent, five-cent, ten-cent, twenty-five-cent and 50-cent pieces. In addition, you’ll receive two unique notes that circulated during this period overseas: A Series 641 Military Payment Certificate (MPC) used by U.S. troops, and a genuine North Vietnam Mot Dong note used by Viet Cong forces during the war. Both of your notes will come in Lightly Circulated condition – perfect for display, each is an incredible piece of history from one of America’s most turbulent eras.
Between August 31, 1965 and October 21, 1968, U.S. troops were issued a variety of Military Payment Certificates (MPC) from the Series 641 issue. Unlike standard U.S. currency, these notes were issued only to soldiers serving overseas, and were created to be tightly controlled and demonetized at a moment’s notice. The first military note series ever issued in Vietnam included Five Cent, Ten Cent, Twenty-Five Cent, Fifty Cent, One Dollar, Five Dollar and Ten Dollar certificates. Each circulated for only a short period of time, and most were destroyed.
Mot Dong notes were issued by North Vietnam and used by Viet Cong forces operating in Vietnam during the war. These “VC notes” were often very colorful and depicted both idyllic images of Vietnam from people harvesting rice and schoolchildren at their desks, to militaristic motifs like women armed with rifles and soldiers in battle.
North Vietnam’s Tet Offensive in early 1968 was intended to spur a popular uprising in South Vietnam. Instead, while U.S. forces achieved a tactical victory, they lost the battle on the American home front for what was now becoming an unpopular war. This set is a fascinating look at the Vietnam War told in a way only numismatics can tell. Secure yours now while our limited supply lasts!
- POCKET CHANGE FROM THE VIETNAM WAR’S PIVOTAL YEAR – This set includes a penny, nickel, dime, quarter and half-dollar – all dated 1968, a year most historians acknowledge was the pivotal year in the Vietnam War.
- LEGAL-TENDER COINS –These coins are all legal tender in the United States.
- NICE UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Each coin in this set comes in nice Uncirculated condition, as sharp and fresh as they day they left the mint more than 50 years ago!
- BONUS CURRENCY NOTES FROM THE BATTLEFIELDS – As an added bonus, this set also includes a U.S. Military Payment Certificate (MPC) note AND a North Vietnam Mot Dong note used by the Viet Cong, both of which were used in Vietnam during 1968. They are graded in Lightly Circulated condition and further distinguish the historical significance of this set.
Honor the sacrifices made by U.S. forces 50 years ago during the 1968 Tet Offensive with this Vietnam War-Era Tribute Set. Click one to your cart today!
|Year of Issue||1968|
|Denomination||0.01, 0.05, 0.10, 0.25, 0.50, Varies|
|Mint Name||U.S. Mint|
|Coin Weight||31.07 Grams - g|