Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2-Piece Dime Set 1945-S Mercury with Micro "S" XF & 1946 Roosevelt BU with Loupe
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $29.95 $29.07
The Changing of the Ten-Cent Guard
Any collector worth their salt will tell you that the most important coins of any series are generally the first- and last-year issues. Without these bookends, your collection simply isn’t complete! This two-coin set brings together the last-year-of-issue 1945-S Mercury Dime (also known as the Winged Head Liberty Dime) and the first-year-of-issue 1946 Roosevelt Dime! The Mercury Dime is also one of the major varieties of the series, featuring a micro “S” mint mark. It comes in Extremely Fine (XF) condition—not bad for a coin struck the final year of World War II! The Roosevelt Dime comes in Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition, struck in the same 90% silver fineness as its predecessor.
Though it’s common knowledge today that President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was paralyzed from the effects of polio, few people were aware of this during his presidency. That’s why following his death in 1945 the dime was chosen as the coin to be revamped with Roosevelt’s image due to the fallen President’s efforts in the founding of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. The non-profit organization was later renamed the March of Dimes after a fundraising effort in 1938 urged people to contribute to the organization by purchasing 10-cent lapel pins.
The Roosevelt Dime replaced the universally acclaimed “Mercury” Dime. Designed by Adolph A. Weinman, a noted American sculptor and a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the Mercury Dime is today considered to be one of the most beautiful American coins ever struck by the U.S. Mint. The wings depicted on Miss Liberty’s were supposed to represent freedom of thought, but for most people it looked to be a depiction of the Roman god Mercury and the nickname stuck.
Your coins will arrive housed in a square capsule and drawstring pouch along with a magnifying folding loupe to allow you to examine your coins in 2x or 6x magnification. Secure this “changing of the guard” set today!
- LAST-YEAR MERCURY DIME – America’s “Mercury Dime” was named for the image of a Winged Liberty Head that looks like the Roman god Mercury. It was designed by German-born American sculptor Adolph Weinman – the famous designer of the Walking Liberty Half Dollar– and was struck in 90% silver for its entire run from 1916-1945. This Mercury Dime also features the “Micro S” variety with a smaller, more compact “S” mintmark. It is unique to the 1945 series and very popular among collectors.
- FIRST-YEAR ROOSEVELT DIME – Designed by U.S. Mint Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock, the Roosevelt Dime was issued less than a year after the death of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It has been issued every year for nearly 75 years with its design virtually unchanged. It was struck in 90% silver from 1946-1964 before switching to a 75% copper/25% nickel composition in 1965.
- STRUCK IN FINE SILVER – Both of these dimes were struck in 90% silver.
- LEGAL-TENDER AMERICAN COINS -- The Mercury Dime and Roosevelt Dime are both 10 cents legal tender in the United States.
- GRADED IN EXCELLENT CONDITION – The two dimes in your Last-Year Mercury/First-Year Roosevelt Two-Piece Dime Set come graded in excellent condition. Your Last-Year 1945 Mercury Dime is in Extremely Fine (XF) condition and your First-Year Roosevelt Dime in in Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition.
Get the last-year 1945 Mercury Dime and the first-year 1946 Roosevelt Dime in one fantastic two-piece set now by clicking them to you cart right now!
|Year of Issue||1946, 1945|
|Pedigree||Struck at San Francisco Mint|
|Mint Name||San Francisco - S|
|Coin Weight||2.5 Grams - g|