Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
2019 BIOT 50-Pence 8-gm CuNi Green Turtle Colorized Proof
- Quantity Credit Card Wire
- 1+ $19.95 $19.36
Hey Bro, Check Out the First Release in Pobjoy’s Turtle Series!
From his first appearance in Disney/Pixar’s 2003 film Finding Dory to his most recent role in its 2016 sequel Finding Dory, the hipster Green Turtle named Crush has shown that he’s more than meets the eye. With his surfer dude’s attitude, he’s anything but what one would expect from a 150-year-old sea creature. Actually, scientists estimate that the average lifespan of a Green Turtle is a human-like 80 years, but they do have some documented cases of these turtles living as long as 150 years. It seems Crush and his laid-back bro-cha-cho ways is conducive to a long life!
Now you can let one of these graceful and exotic sea creatures kick back and become a bodacious addition to your collection thanks to this awesome legal-tender proof coin that features this endangered species in full color! Struck by the world-renowned British Pobjoy Mint in eight grams of gleaming Cupronickel (CuNi), this 50-pence coin was expertly crafted from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
The seven-sided coin depicts a drowsy Green Turtle in brilliant shades of, well, you guessed it – green! What’s more, this is the first release in Pobjoy’s Turtle Series. It’s also legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), an area that plays an important role in the life of many of the world’s sea turtles thanks to the territory’s shallow inlets which provide much-needed foraging ground for immature turtles.
Green Turtles are one of the world’s largest sea turtles and the only herbivore among the different species. They can reach up to 5 feet in length and weigh as much as 700 pounds. Though not really green, these weighty reptiles have shells that are normally brown or olive in color. They also have paddle-shaped flippers that make them powerful and graceful swimmers when, like Crush, they’re riding the rollicking East Australian Current, in which thousands of aquatic creatures are swept from the Great Barrier Reef to Sydney Harbor and further south every summer. Despite their endangered classification, however, they are still threatened by overharvesting of their eggs, hunting of adults, being caught in fishing gear and the constant threat of habitat loss vital to their beach nesting sites.
On land, turtles may be slow, but get them in water and watch out! The same can be said for these coins. With only 3,750 minted for worldwide release, these gorgeous colorized proofs will not be around for long. Reserve one to your cart now before they’re all gone!
- FIRST ISSUE IN TURTLE SERIES – This coin is the first release in the Pobjoy Mint’s Turtle Series and depicts the Green Turtle in full color. The coin’s obverse features the Pobjoy Mint’s exclusive effigy of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- STRUCK IN CUPRONICKEL – Each Green Turtle Colorized Proof was struck in eight grams of Cupronickel (CuNi) and measures 27.3 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER COINAGE – These Green Turtle Colorized Proofs are 50 pence legal tender in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), a group of islands located in the Indian Ocean halfway between Africa and Indonesia.
- GORGEOUS PROOF CONDITION – Your 2019 BIOT Green Turtle Colorized Proof was expertly crafted by the mint from hand-selected planchets, polished dies and multiple strikes to produce beautifully frosted details rising over mirror-like fields.
- LOW LIMITED MINTAGE – The edition limit for the Green Turtle Colorized Proof has been set at only 3,750.
If the 2019 BIOT 50-Pence 8-gm CuNi Green Turtle Colorized Proof doesn’t get you to come out of your shell, nothing will! Add one of these aquatic coins to your collection today!
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Country||Virgin Islands Brit|
|Composition||Copper-Nickel - CuNi|
|Mint Name||Pobjoy Mint|
|Coin Weight||8 Grams - g|