The Dinosaurs Rise Again on South Africa’s 2020 Natura Coins
First released in 1994, the South African Mint’s Natura Series is unique in that the entire series comes struck with a new image or theme each year. This award-winning series has previously focused on living animals native to South Africa, but in 2018 the series shifted to paleontology.
2020’s addition to the Silver Natura “Rise of the Dinosaur” series features a pair of Coelophysis dinosaurs stalking their prey. The instantly iconic Jurassic Park-like skeletal image of an Archosauria dinosaur returns as the obverse design. Struck in a Troy ounce of highly pure 99.9% fine silver, the coin is sure to be a smash with collectors, dinosaur enthusiasts and silver stackers alike. Plus, each coin in this offer comes graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in flawless Mint State-70 (MS70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
In addition, NGC has certified these One-Ounce Silver Natura Coins to be First Day of Production (FDP) coins, meaning that they were struck on the first day that the mint began striking the series. To qualify for First Day of Production, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository accompanied by documentation from the mint that confirms that the coins were struck on the first day of that coin’s production. In fact, NGC further certified that the coins offered here are “One of First 296 Issued” and sonically sealed them in acrylic holders with black display cores and exclusive South African flag labels!
The Coelophysis was a bi-pedal predator that could grow to be nearly 10 feet long and stand about three feet high at its hips. Light, fast and grouped together in packs, these dangerous-looking critters lived between 216-196 million years ago in what is today South Africa during the late Triassic to early Jurassic periods. Coelophysis means “hollow form” and this comes from the fact that this little beastie had hollow limb bones, which would account for its relatively low weight (topping out at 45 pounds) despite its long length –further evidence, some paleontologists claim, that dinosaurs were the ancestors of today’s birds.
Each 2020 South Africa One-Ounce Silver Natura Coelophysis Dinosaur Coin comes shipped in a South African Mint-approved drawstring pouch that features the mint’s famous logo. Only 15,000 will be struck so the time to get yours is now before our limited supply become extinct!
- 2020’S SILVER NATURA DINOSAUR COIN – This Coelophysis Dinosaur coin is the second release in the South African Mint’s Natura Rise of the Dinosaur series. The reverse features a pair of Coelophysis dinosaurs stalking their prey. The coin’s obverse features the fossilized remains of a dinosaur along with the words “RISE OF THE DINOSAURS,” “SOUTH AFRICA” “ARCHOSAURIA” and the 2020 year date in Roman numerals MMXX.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY-PURE SILVER – Each 2020 South Africa Silver Natura Coelophysis Dinosaur coin is struck in one ounce of 92.5% fine silver.
- LEGAL TENDER IN SOUTH AFRICA – These 2020 South Africa One-Ounce Silver Natura Coelophysis Dinosaur coins are 25 Rand legal tender in South Africa.
- PERFECT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2020 South Africa One-Ounce Silver Natura Coelophysis Dinosaur coin has been graded by the numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as being in perfect Mint State-70 (MS70) condition.
- KEY FIRST DAY OF PRODUCTION CERTIFICATION – NGC has certified these Silver Natura coins to be First Day of Production (FDP) coins. NGC further certified that each was “One of First 296 Issued” and sonically sealed them in acrylic holders with black display cores and exclusive South African flag labels.
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – The maximum worldwide edition limit for this coin has been set at just 15,000.
As one of the smaller dinosaurs struggling to survive in a world populated by many larger reptiles, Coelophysis had to be quick on its feet. And with only 15,000 of these coins struck for worldwide release, you’ll need to be quick on your feet if you want to add this coin to your collection. Click one – or several – to your cart today!