Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
1858-O Half Dollar Seated Liberty SS Republic NGC Shipwreck Effect
Sunken Treasures Recovered from the SS Republic
The SS Republic’s last voyage began on October 18, 1865. She departed New York bound for New Orleans with a reported $400,000 in gold and silver coins. On October 23, the sidewheel steamship found itself off the coast of Georgia when it was caught in hurricane that blew in from the east. By evening the ship’s hull was leaking so badly that the fire in her boiler was extinguished and the ship had helplessly stalled. After two days of valiant struggle to keep the vessel afloat, the SS Republic went down just as the passengers and crew escaped into lifeboats and a makeshift raft.
Fast forward to the year 2003 and a report crackled over a wireless radio in the offices at Odyssey Marine Exploration: The SS Republic had been found – its treasure protected over the years in approximately 1,700 feet of icy Atlantic water! The news culminated a 12-year search by the Tampa, Florida-based commercial archeological company. Recovery efforts began on the sunken remains of the SS Republic, a find containing thousands of gold and silver coins estimated at being worth today as much as $180 million.
Now you can add recovered treasure from the wreck to your collection! Here’s your chance to secure spectacular 1858-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar struck at the New Orleans Mint and certified by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as an official “Shipwreck Effect” coin from the wreck of the SS Republic. This coin was struck in just a few years before the first shots of the Civil War were fired and then lost in the violent shipwreck – until now! Your coin will also come with a 276-page book, “Lost Gold of the Republic,” which tells the story of the your newly claimed sunken treasure.
When was the last time you added a real piece of American sunken treasure to your collection – one that spent nearly 160 years underwater? Don’t miss out; put this spectacular coin in your cart today!
- HISTORIC CIVIL WAR-ERA COIN – This coin is a historic Civil War-era silver coin recovered from the Atlantic Ocean floor from the wreck of the SS Republic.
- LEGAL TENDER COIN FROM A BYGONE ERA – Your coin was a legal tender United States half dollar struck at the New Orleans Mint nearly 160 years ago.
- STRUCK IN FINE SILVER – Each SS Republic Seated Liberty Half Dollar was struck in 90% silver.
- UNIQUE SHIPWRECK GRADE COIN – This coin has been conserved, attributed and encapsulated by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) as an official “Shipwreck Effect” coin coming from the famous wreck of the SS Republic.
- BEAUTIFUL PACKAGING – Your coin will come beautifully housed in a black presentation case an accompanied by the book Lost Gold of the Republic.
Quantities are limited so order your genuine piece of U.S. sunken treasure today!
|Year of Issue||1858|
|Pedigree||Genuine, SS Republic|
|Mint Name||New Orleans - O|
|Coin Weight||12.44 Grams - g|