A New Gold Eagle Takes Flight In 2021!
Collectors have been waiting with bated breath for more than a year ever since the United States Mint announced that it would be changing the reverse image on its Gold Eagle coin, ending the 35-year run of sculptor Miley Busiek’s popular Family of Eagles design. Many were surprised when the first Gold Eagles released for 2021 still included Busiek’s iconic design. But don’t get your feathers ruffled, because the new design is finally here!
The Face of the New American Gold Eagle
The new Gold Eagle reverse design is the work of Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) artist Jennie Norris and was sculpted by Mint Medallic Artist Renata Gordon. It displays a new “Eagle Portrait” reverse design portraying a realistic, close-up profile of a bald eagle that captures the intricate details of its plumage and its steely gaze. As the second design for 2021, these Gold Eagles coins have been given a Type 2 pedigree to differentiate them from the Type 1 coins that bear the original Busiek Family of Eagles reverse design. It also represents a monumental year for the Gold Eagle Series with both a first AND a last in the same year of one of the Mint’s most popular coins!
About the Artists:
A resident of Sonoran Desert region in the American Southwest, Norris is a graphic designer who currently works at the University of Arizona. A highly accomplished artist, and passionate conservationist, Norris is a specialist in fine art, graphic design, and illustration, and only recently became a part of the U.S. Mint’s Artistic Infusion Program (AIP). Remarkably, the Gold Eagle’s new reverse will be her first design to appear on a coin.
Gordon joined the Mint’s sculpting-engraving department in 2011 and since then has been involved in dozens of coin and medal programs. Some of those programs include the 2020 Women’s Suffrage Centennial Silver Medal, the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program, 2008 Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program, and the 2021 National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum Commemorative Coin Program.
Perfect One-Ounce Type 2 Gold Eagles From Among the First Released
Each 2021 Type 2 Gold Eagle available in this offer has been struck in a full ounce of highly pure 91.67% (22 karat) fine gold and is $50 legal tender in the United States. In addition, these 2021 One-Ounce Type 2 Gold Eagles have been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in flawless Mint State-70 (MS70) condition, a distinction that means these perfectly-graded coins have ZERO imperfections — showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. Each will also come with a mint-issued Certificate of Authenticity.
In addition, PCGS has certified that these Gold Eagle are First Strike (FS) coins, a designation that means they were received by PCGS or an PCGS-approved depository within the first 30 days of their release. Collectors seek out these coins because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later. Each will also come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder with an American Flag label.
Combine the Gold Eagle’s elite status among collectors with the fact that this is the first year of the new Type 2 “Eagle Portrait” design and you have a classic recipe for intense demand! Now, you can secure one of these key 2021 One-Ounce Type 2 Gold Eagles! But don’t wait long; we’re expecting them to barely touch down in our vault before an army of collectors swoop in to empty our shelves!
- THE ULTIMATE SAINT-GAUDENS CREATION . . . – These One-Ounce Gold Eagles exhibit a stunning design of Lady Liberty walking forward with focus and purpose, torch in one hand and olive branch in the other. Originally introduced on the famous 1907 $20 Double Eagle and born from collaboration between Augustus Saint-Gaudens and Theodore Roosevelt, this design reveals beautifully intricate details (like the U.S. Capitol building in the distance) with each viewing.
- . . . PAIRED FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH NEW “PORTRAIT EAGLE” DESIGN – This coin’s full a close-up portrait of an American Bald Eagle was created by graphic designer Jennie Norris, replacing the Family of Eagle design created in 1986 by Miley Busiek.
- EXPERTLY STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE GOLD – The craftspeople of the U.S. Mint are known around the world for their skill and attention to detail. It’s this talent that transforms each one-ounce planchet of 91.67% fine gold into a breathtaking work of numismatic art measuring 32.7 mm in diameter.
- U.S. LEGAL TENDER – Minted in gold mined in the United States with weight and content guaranteed by the U.S. government, each 2021 One-Ounce Gold Eagle coin is fifty dollars U.S. legal tender, as seen on the coin’s reverse.
- PERFRECT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your 2021 One-Ounce Type 2 Gold Eagle has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) in perfect Mint State-70 (MS70) condition.
- KEY FIRST STRIKE CERTIFICATION – PCGS has certified that your Gold Eagle is a First Strike (FS) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. It will come sealed in an acrylic holder with an American Flag label.
- TYPE 2 DESIGNATION – This coin was given the Type-2 pedigree to note that it bears the new Jennie Norris Eagle Reverse design.
Gold Eagles like these are perennial favorites, usually flying out of our vaults as soon as they arrive! Whether you're new to the series, a diehard collector or a gold bug looking to add to your reserve, this is your chance to secure one of these first-ever 2021 Type 2 Gold Eagles for your very own. Don’t wait — order yours today!